Cyl head valve issue

Front 2 cyls were zero. Is gauge working? Tried it on 1 rear and it was 30. Well this isn’t a good trend. There is 1 bolt on rear head that had a stream of oil spraying straight up and against firewall. Wtf? It is hollow with a hole drilled sideways. For oiling top of cyl head? No oil sprays from similar bolt on front head. Gotta keep valve cover on for cranking test. Opel engineers are sneaky.

So, you get it with the timing marks ‘correct’ (but can’t see the crank mark) but can rotate crank only 30 degrees. You pull the belt and can now rotate 360 degrees. You install the belt with all timing marks correct and can now rotate crank 360 degrees, but little or no compression. Seems to me bent valves explains everything.

i cant believe how clean it is under motor. spotless. like our 2015 civic. you would think they just put in a new motor. i would like to know how the former owner cleaned it so well. too bad motor is broke. i looked on car-part.com and used heads were in the $120 range at local yards. i even found some with bent valves for $200. heck, i got 2 of those. i looked at boneyard vue this weekend. has same motor. airlcleaner is still on motor. as is serp belt and timing belt. dont really want to tear off those heads also. they are $35. well, it was in the back of my mind that i might have to do the heads when i bought it. so there you go

He probably had it steam cleaned. This service used to be readily available.

[quote=“insightful, post:22, topic:100108, full:true”]
So, you get it with the timing marks ‘correct’ (but can’t see the crank mark) but can rotate crank only 30 degrees. You pull the belt and can now rotate 360 degrees. You install the belt with all timing marks correct and can now rotate crank 360 degrees, but little or no compression. Seems to me bent valves explains everything.
[/quote]I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. This is an interference engine. That also implies that the PO lied to the OP about the timing belt not having broken.

mix PO and OP and what do you get?

4 Likes

[quote=“Cavell, post:26, topic:100108, full:true”]
mix PO and OP and what do you get?
[/quote]Yep, and that’s likely what your engine is.

heads are off. a few intake valves are slightly open. all pistons have intake valve nicks. no nicks on exhaust side of pistons. i have torn heads down before on other cars. next step is ?