Current Generation Hybrid Crossovers

Oh, I know that crossovers are the most popular segment around right now, and that they do appeal to a lot of people. I’m just not one of them.

We have both a mid sized sedan and a mid sized CUV. The sedan gets better mpgs (it’s a hybrid) and probably handles a bit better (not important in DFW commutes). The CUV is roomier, easier in/out, and most importantly can and does frequently haul large bulky stuff that won’t fit in the sedan. When it’s time to replace the sedan, it’ll be with a CUV, likely a hybrid.

CUV of any type - practical yes - exciting , not a chance.

How about one of these
image https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/2019-porsche-macan-placement-1544221949.jpg?crop=0.817xw:1.00xh;0.0929xw,0&resize=640:*

1 Like

I don’t think anyone would argue that a RAV4 is exciting. But compared to a Camry or its competition is there really any difference? Not many people are cross shopping a CUV with a Mustang or Corvette.

Nice color :slight_smile:
The rest does not scream to me like I want it.

Porsche is incapable of producing a car that doesn’t look like a 911 in some respect.

1 Like

Now why would I want a Porsche on stilt when there’s the Panamera?

1 Like

I’m very excited about the new CR-V hybrid. I could care less about low-volume high-performance unicorns that most families will never own. The CR-V along with the RAV4 has transformed the American family vehicle, doubled the fuel economy of the vehicle more families choose, added space, safety, and done it at a lower cost today than when the vehicles were first launched 20 years ago.

Because the Macan is a fraction of the cost of the Panamera.

If my dad had known the Hybrid was actually coming for next year he might have waited instead of buying his 2019 CRV Touring. All depends on the price premium for the hybrid though. Once you get close to $40,000 you hit what our first house sold for. 40mpg give or take is double what he was getting with his 2007 on his normal route. Better than our basic little '90 Mazda Protoge without any safety features other than brakes and seat belts.

Moving up to 30mpg on the same trip with the 2019 is enough for now. If a plug-in option surfaces in a few years maybe. Who really knows, we thought he would keep the 2007 CRV forever too.

my coworker said he considers 2020 CRV and hybrid is only $800 more

at that difference… quite fast to get costs recouped

I would rather have a ‘67 Ford Country Squire with a 428.

1 Like

How many gallons to the mile?

For the last 13 years we had always either had a minivan or a crossover. Only this year, I got rid of them and we are down to a Sedan, a Prius and a 3 door funky hatchback. My wife and daughter like the sitting position of the CUV’s, but the hybrids are pricey and they drive too many miles for a non-hybrid. So sedan it is for now.
I agree about the CUV’s not being exciting, but neither is the Sonata or the Prius we have.
The only part about the Prius is that I am and old dog learning how to work on hybrid cars. A lot of good info on the net.

Maybe 8 city/12 Highway?

That’s better then my 66 Fleetwood. I averaged 5 city and maybe 10 highway.

Cadillac did make a few wagons, this one for the Jackson 5, but no faux wood paneling like the Fords.ED22471C-8DAC-4C0E-B5C8-06DB74625AB2

That vehicle won’t even fit in my Garage.

Will your garage fit inside it?

2 Likes