Cracked Block in 2008 Honda Civic

Definitely a sad situation. Sympathy!

1 Like

That’s OK. Apology accepted!

Thanks for the sympathy!

That’s a tough one. Some of the “bad” engine blocks didn’t crack. Replacing all of the engines prophylacticly would have put a huge burden on Honda - especially since many of those engines would not need to be replaced either because they would never crack or because the car got totaled in a wreck before they could.

A warranty extension was a good move, and I do think 10 years is fairly significant. They doubled the original warranty on the engine. I think we’ve kinda forgotten as a society what “warranty” really means.

A warranty means the manufacturer is confident that the product will last for the time/use specified. It doesn’t mean “it will last 5 times the time/use specified, and if it doesn’t we’ll replace it no matter what we specified.”

In other words, when you bought the car, you were fine with taking the risk that the engine would only last 60,000 miles/5 years. The vast majority of the time with Honda, that’s a great risk to take because most of them do last well more than twice that long. And you did still beat the original warranty by more than double.

I do think that Honda should be replacing the blocks on a case-by-case basis, though, if for no other reason than that they have a lot of 20 and 30 year olds buying their cars, and those people will still be buying cars half a century or more from now. That’s a lot of missed sales if they make you guys too mad.

But a blanket warranty extension for the life of the rest of the car isn’t a reasonable ask on our part either.

I’m 63 and they did make me mad by not replacing my engine block. They admitted the blocks were defective. They escaped the massive cost of a recall. I still say a block should not crack if not mistreated. There is just nothing magic about the 10 year extension. Honda should replace the blocks for the life of the car. This will forever cloud my view of Honda.

1 Like