CR compares the new Ford Ranger and the Chevy Colorado

Not exactly the same engine as the 13 Highlander but a slightly different version. It’s the same as used in the current Highlander and Lexus RX350 among others.

I assumed similar, at least. Not sure I’d love it as a truck motor. I’d have to compare weight of a Taco vs weight of a Highlander. Or, better yet, just drive the new Tacoma for myself and decide (if I was currently in the new truck market).

At the lightest configuration for the V6 Tacoma it was around 4,000lbs curb weight vs 4,300 for a V6 Highlander. In the Highlander the engine is rated for more horsepower but less torque. According to what Toyota quotes on the website.

“Lightest configuration” is key. Most sales are probably near the heaviest configuration (4wd and/or crew cab). I wouldn’t rule Toyota out as an option, in any event.

Where is Tom McCahill when we need him? I always liked reading his automobile test reports in Mechanics Illustrated. In his colorful prose, he called them as he saw them.
I subscribe to Consumer Reports so that I can get some idea of what the upper crust purchases. I do fill out CR’s surveys on my vehicles and household appliances. One needs to remember that the results of these surveys may only be generalized to CR subscribers.
Some years back, I owned a Ford Maverick. It rode like a wheelbarrow and had an interior that made a school bus seem luxurious (every school bus I ever rode in had a glove compartment. The Maverick just had a shelf below the dashboard). However, I had no.real problems with the Maverick. When I looked at CR’s auto issue, the Maverick had a below average repair record. Strangely, the Mercury Comet, which was the same car as the Maverick, had an average repair record. I found this quite interesting. I wrote to CR and the answer I received was “that’s the way the data came out”. I wondered then why the data came out this way. I finally found the answer while reading an issue of Popular Mechanics in the barber shop. PM had surveyed owners of Ford/Mercury twins. The report gave the demographics of the responders. The average age of the Mercury owner was over seven years above that of a Ford owner. This probably explains the difference in the repair record.
I used this example after the university where I was employed put a student evaluation of faculty form in place that was to have all students in all classes rate their professors. Now a first term freshman in a general education class probably has a different opinion of the classroom professor than a senior taking a senior seminar in his/her major. I was invited to present at an open forum and I caused such a stir that the university abandoned the evaluation form. The opinions of freshman students in a general studies course is not a realistic evaluation of all students’ opinions of a particular professor. In the same vein, the reliability ratings of subscribers to Consumer Reports of a particular vehicle does not, in my opinion, represent the experiences of all owners of that particular vehicle.

4 Likes

I personally don’t understand the point of making a midsize truck with a V6. If I wanted a V6, I’d get a full-size truck with one, like an F150. The only reason I would even consider a small or midsize pickup truck is that I’d want an I4.

The pickup that would meet my present needs would be the size of the Ford Courier or Chevrolet LUV of several decades ago. The 4 cylinder engine with a manual transmission would satisfy me.

In reality, they don’t really make a midsize truck anymore. I think an inline 4 would be anemic in a current Tacoma, other than a regular cab, 2wd, manual transmission base truck.

I owned a 99 Tacoma, 4 cyl, 5 speed, reg cab, 2wd. It was great! But the majority of people buy crew cabs now, I think. I would. If I was single, I would not.

A V6 in a half ton is pretty lethargic, in my opinion. Unless turbo. The 4.8 V8 in my truck leaves a lot to be desired and was rated about the same as the 4.3 v6 as far as mpg, if I’m not mistaken. Sadly, my truck doesn’t really beat a 5.3 liter truck in mpg to amount to anything and has less torque. Yay! Was a good deal and the AC works. I can’t complain. lol

1 Like

As noted above, I had the 3L V6 in my 2WD 2001 Ranger, I could only describe it as adequate, I would not even consider an NA 4 cylinder.
Though they were fine in the compact trucks.

Anemic? I don’t even think Toyota sells a regular cab anymore, but I crunched the numbers on the 2019 Tacoma SR and the 2019 Ford F150 XL, and to me the V6 Tacoma looks like a lot more weight for a little more umph, not worth it in my opinion. I don’t need more than 2.7 liters of displacement, and if I did, I’d rather get the F150 than a V6 Tacoma.

Capture1

I had a maverick at one time & if I remember right it was one step up from a pinto.

@Renegade. The Maverick was one step up from the Pinto, but in my opinion, it was a better transportation value. Parts were inexpensive compared to other cars, and it was simple to maintain. I was able to start mine when it sat outdoors in -22° F weather.
For the time period, (early 1970s), the Maverick was good basic transportation. It was what I could afford back in those days and it served me well.

1 Like

I don’t think we disagree…but you lost me. Your first post stated you’d want the inline 4. I think that would be anemic in a current Tacoma. Not sure what your thoughts are there. And I could be wrong, I haven’t driven one. The 2.7 in my 99 Tacoma was great. But I think that truck was under 3k lbs!

Your second post stated you’d rather have the Ford as the Toyota has more weight and a little more oomph…but the Ford is listed as having more horsepower on your chart?

Speaking of 2.7’s, the F150 2.7 seems pretty impressive. I have driven one and it’s pretty amazing what a couple of turbos and some slick engineering ideas can do. I’m still worried a little about long term reliability and just being able to diagnose simple stuff now that turbos, wastegates, etc are added in. But if I was totally sold on those two points and was certain that motor would last anything like the 2.7 in that 99 Tacoma…I’d trade on a new truck tomorrow.

You are right it was a good basic car the only thing I did not like about it was the back seat was very uncomfortable we had to make a emergency trip from Fla to Texas with one driving & one trying to sleep in the back seat; as far as simple to maintain we had a breakdown in Mississippi as we were getting of an exit to get something to eat one of the fan blade’s broke loose cut into the battery but got lucky & could see a part’s house within 2 block’s that had a fan blade & battery we needed 30 min;s later back on the road.

If you were in MS, you should have called me. Of course if you were in a pinto or maverick, I would’ve probably been like 8 years old or so if you bought it used. :grimacing:

1 Like

That was in the early 80’s.

I was born in 74…so…yeah, I guessed about right! Curious what town you broke down in or near?

1 Like

I was so long ago I don’t remember all I know it was off I 10.

Believe that’s near the coast. I’m far north. I think Gautier (pronounced Go-shay) is on I 10. Crazy Cajuns and their pronunciations.

1 Like

You are right about the crazy Cajun’s & their proununciation’s &,sometime;s backward’s talk I don’t even try to say some of the town name’s till I hear a Cajun say it first it is like a town in Texas called Iran said Ira Ann.