CR compares the new Ford Ranger and the Chevy Colorado

You might recall a Maverick TV commercial that Ford ran for a while that would surely not pass muster today. They showed a small group of airline stewardesses (in their official uniforms) doing basic maintenance procedures on a Maverick, and even bolting-on new front fenders. The tag line was something along the lines of…So simple, even a stewardess can do it.

Yikes!

Unfortunately they don’t make that, or any Tacoma with an I-4 and a manual. Last year you could get that in the 4x4 model, but only one came into the dealer and it had a bad clutch and the dealer did not want to fix it or even look at it.

This year you can get an I-4 with the automatic, in theory. But if you want a manual, the only ones available are V-6 4x4 TRD’s that are optioned up to the max.

1 Like

I’ll be darned, you’re right. I just tried to “build” a Tacoma with a manual transmission on Toyota’s website, and the only transmission options were automatics. I guess that means the Frontier would be my only option if I wanted to buy a new midsize truck since I’d prefer a manual transmission.

In the end, I’ll probably opt for another car when the time comes anyway. I’ve realized my need for a truck is only once or twice a year, and I’ve realized I’m more comfortable driving something that is small and maneuverable rather than drive something as big and bulky as today’s “midsize” (yesterday’s full-size) trucks. I really wish I had one of those old 4-cylinder Tacomas that aren’t much bigger than a car.

I was introduced to gumbo in the late 60s @Scrapyard_John. I visited NO several time when in high school and walked downtown on St Charles along the street car tracks. Every other old home seemed to be a boarding house and they served dinner to the public. It was obvious that gumbo was okra soup with the left overs from lunch thrown in. I acquired a taste for it though.

A regular cab 2wd model would serve your purposes. If they still made one with an I4 and a manual. I really enjoyed that 99 model. 25 mpg combined driving at 80 mph, 30 miles a day to work. With 287k miles on the clock when I bought it from a guy intending to sell it as scrap. If I could have a “do over”, I’d hang on to it. I eventually made a quadruple your money profit (which was important at the time) on it in a round about way after doing some repairs, trading it for another vehicle, and doing some more repairs on that vehicle, but it’s one of the vehicles I sort of miss. It just served its purpose. It wasn’t overly powerful, impressive, etc. It just kind of did it’s thing, was useful as cheap transportation, could haul random stuff in the bed, and it was fun to shift the 5 speed.

1 Like

I really enjoy trying different foods from different cultures. Goat meat isn’t bad at all if prepared well. I initially thought goat meat was a “Mexican thing” (there’s a funny story there about some migrant workers BBQing the wrong goat if anyone’s interested) until an older black gentlemen let me try his wife’s barbecued goat meat. Not bad at all!

My friend Raul’s mom made the best tamales, though. Damn, they were the bomb.

Looking at Toyota’s and Nissan’s websites, you can’t get a Tacoma or a Frontier regular cab anymore. That’s unfortunate, because a pickup truck is one vehicle I’d rather not buy used. Most have been either been worked hard as a work truck, or been dipped in brackish water or saltwater launching a boat, or been driven aggressively by a lunkhead who weaves in and out of traffic. It’s pretty rare to find a used truck that’s been well-cared for.

I’d buy a 2-4 year old off-lease hatchback or Prius, but not a pickup of the dame vintage.

A Mexican thing? The only place I’ve ever had goat meat at was at a Jamaican restaurant.

Back in the day, there was a neighborhood family in Dallas that adopted a couple goats. They named them Romeo and Juliet. Unfortunately, they didn’t have enough land to keep the goats, so the Dallas code enforcement people made them get rid of them, and they decided to slaughter and cook them.

My father always wanted to keep goats on his property, but he never did. He said goat milk was good for making fudge.

I rarely see regular cab trucks of any make anymore, although I realize they’re still available at least in the full sized truck segment. It’s strange. Looking back, the only crew cab trucks used to be fleet trucks owned by construction companies and the like…to haul the crew to work. I understand the appeal since I have a wife and 2 kids. But if I was a single guy…meh, I think I’d rather have a regular cab.

You know, a lot of people in the south would balk at goat meat. But eating deer meat isn’t an issue for most. What’s the difference? Other than the fact that goats are slower and not as cute lol.

I was introduced to goat meat at Sardis many years ago @Scrapyard_John and have been to several ‘goat roasts’ since then and enjoyed the meat from my first bite. There always seemed to be a few who were too squeamish seeing the the entire carcass hung on a spit cooking to taste it. I guess it compares to watching sausage being made. We have become so civilized that many disassociate the meat from its source when they sit down for a steak, etc. Maybe that situation will push the faux meat industry’s popularity.

When was the last time you hunted goat? Macho men hunt for dinner. No, I’m not putting you down, just pointing out that some guys like hunting for dinner as our ancestors did thousands of years ago. The tools change, but the desire doesn’t.

Yeah, I know some like to hunt deer, I don’t have an issue with that. Just odd that people would be macho enough to hunt, kill, field dress, and eat deer. But not macho enough to eat a goat lol.

Never really been a big hunter, myself. Just never got into it. I do like to fish, though.

I like deer meat, and I don’t hunt. I grew up in the suburbs, and it has always been illegal to hunt where I live. I never knew anyone that hunted, so I couldn’t go with them. We have deer hunts once a year in the state park behind my house, but you have to be a vetted, expert bow hunter to go on that hunt. My son in law hunts deer on his grandmother’s farm. Maybe when he takes over the farm I’ll go with him. They also hunt quail, turkey, and anything else that looks good to eat.

Shouldn’t Your spellcheck have changed hunted to haunted. :smiley:
Sorry, but I could not avoid it.

1 Like

My grandfather was a big quail hunter years ago. You don’t see quail around here anymore. Something about large farm fields vs small, broken up fields has reduced their habitat. And I think fire ants (which we didn’t really have around here when I was a kid) kill their chicks. Quail meat is fine stuff, though. I do remember that.

That has NOTHING to do with reliability

Plenty of Tempos, Cavaliers, Chevettes, etc. were sold . . . and some of those weren’t very reliable

Still, you’d think if they (ecoboost engines) were failing early, you’d hear more about it given the volume sold. And it would stand to reason people would eventually stop buying them, especially since there’s still a V8 option in the F150. I originally thought I wouldn’t have a turbo gas v6 in a truck and that it would be a huge issue. The longer the engine continues in production, I start to think it must be an ok motor.

Not necessarily . . .

I can think of any number of engines, transmissions, even entire auto brands that were pure garbage, yet it wasn’t common knowledge

You’d be surprised . . .

Some people get burnt . . . and then they go right back to the dealership and buy the exact same brand, transmission, engine, etc. that gave them so much trouble in the first place

Apparently some people just can’t or don’t want to learn from their mistake(s)

I profoundly disagree with you on that point, as well

Again, I can think of a few engines AND transmissions that were :poop: from the very first day of production until the last day of production, several years later

It’s like the old expression “putting lipstick on a pig” :pig:

I had a '93 Ranger, 4.0 supercab, sliding rear window. This truck never let me down, but my neighbors were constantly getting home improvements, leading to a beautiful truck being banged up. Some did get a license plate #, but the contractors never responded to my insurance carrier, this was life in San Francisco.

In Mexico, I drove the same truck, with a different name, B-Series. Now, I drive the Vibe.

I saw a new ranger a few weeks ago; like most small pickups, it has grown a lot, I was not impressed, due to favoring smaller vehicles, they fit me better.