Coolant not returning to radiator (new cap, new overflow hose, new radiator, etc)

Umm, I posted 2 different style and depth radiator caps…

1 Like

Ask your shop pressure test the cooling system. There may be a tiny leak, may not be visible or leak any coolant, but prevents cooling system from developing the vacuum needed to draw the fluid from the overflow reservoir back into the radiator. Another idea, does it work correctly if the overflow reservoir cap is removed?

Note: Diyer, I’m not familiar w/your car or its cooling system config. Opinion based on my own experience w/my cars. I had this problem on my truck a couple of years ago. I at first thought it was the tube between the radiator and the bottle, or the bottle vent was clogged, but both tested ok. The problem turned out to be the radiator cap was not sealing correctly to the radiator cap opening on the radiator. I had to file that sealing surface on the radiator flat, and replace the cap w/a new one.

If you are a scientific type, maybe you can place a pressure/vacuum gauge on the top of the radiator for clues.

Just a couple comments along what tester said. Pulling the fluid back into the radiator again requresvtherevto be no air leaks. If leaks it will just pull the air in and not the coolant. So yeah check for any leaks in cap, hoses, etc. but then there is buying the radiator from Amazon. You may not have gotten what you ordered depending on who it came from.

Everything was matched specifically it said that it matched my car and engine and also it looked just like the last one I had.

Yes I have the correct cap, to answer the question.

Well everything fit and it looked identical to the last radiator. I’m hoping there’s no issues there I really don’t want to replace it again.