Computer and GPS Locator

Lots of comments here that are off topic. I considered the fuse concept as is seemed the most likely. If not a fuse then OnStar has to have a connection to what serves as an antenna. Cut that connection and you cut the constant output of private info. Remember that a state around Oregon was going to use the info regarding miles traveled as a way to charge owners at renewal time for “road use”.
Of course I travel off road a considerable time so I would be charged for something I did not use. I think a switch would be great.
Yes, I have already restored on my 1973–more than once. Still use that truck. Don’t want to put stuff like an Allison tranny or a 6.0L (I deal in cubic inches) You wouldn’t believe the custom welded bumpers, the replaced floor panels, cab corners, doors, etc. I am a certified welder but my wife wants an auto trans, air, and that “new” smell. So there has to be a way to eliminate big brother. Heck, haven’t you ever disconnected a speedo cable so miles don’t show? So to repeat (AGAIN) how can I disconnect the hidden antenna from the computer? Just answer the question.

Give it a little thought. First you are assuming our government cares, and more important even if they wanted to track you, do you really think they could do it? They are not all that good. Just what good would all those records be to the government.

Maybe it makes you feel important to think they are tracking your moves, but frankly they really don't care about you, unless you contribute millions to political campaigns.

You don’t understand cell phones. Your cellular carrier still knows where your phone in (within a few hundred feet) even without GPS on the phone.

Yes and No…

Yes triangulating a cell phone can be done…but certain conditions have to be met…

1. Your cell phone has to be picked up by more then two cell towers. When I make a call from my house…there is only ONE cell tower picking up my cell phone signal. There are no other cell towers near my house.

2. Cell phone connect/disconnect information is kept for up to a week in a database by the carrier. The location of a single cell phone can be located IF someone takes the time analyze the data to get a triangulation.

3. It’s NOT sq Feet…but sq Miles…They might be able to get it down to sq feet, but that depends on the spacing of the towers and how many towers pick up the signal. In a city like NYC or Boston…there are literally HUNDREDS of towers…then it’s easy to triangulate within a few hundred feet of where a cell call is…but in rural areas where there’s one cell tower every 2-4 sq miles…then at best the triangulation is down to a few sq miles.

Certainly the “Government” doesn’t have any interest in me. But I am of the opinion that a badge happy cop who doesn’t like my I LIKE IKE bumper sticker or who thinks my Prince Albert roll-your-own is just cause for my car being disabled at his whim would be contrary to my right to come and go as I please. I will not have a car that would enable someone to call in my tag number and order that I be immobilized. It does make for a cute On Star commercial though. I would, however, support the use of devices that jammed cell phone service in random, moving areas to interrupt and discourage their use by motorists. I was rear ended twice yesterday by drivers otherwise occupied with their devices. One young lady did a considerable amount of damage to her car when she plowed into me. Luckily I was in the F-150 with a heavy bumper.

The unintended consequences of technology, or in this case,quite intended.

My first introduction to OnStar was in 1998 when the Dealer was selected to be the installer so I know quite a bit about the components that make up the system. The latest year model that I have performed any service work on an OnStar system was in 2000 and the systems were being installed by the factory by this time. The transmitter/reciever was located right above the glove box and all you had to do to access it was take the top of the dash off (it is easier than it sounds). It is entirely possible to disconnect the antenna at this point as it is just a piece of RG-58 cable with a screw on connector. Pulling a fuse to disable OnStar would be more difficult as the system has a constant and a switched power connection and there are other systems on these fuses.

My big questions are. If your are so worried about “OnStar” why did you even buy a vehicle that is equipped with it? Couldn’t you have had the dealer remove it? But then could you be sure they really did? Do you watch the movie “Conspiracy Theory” over and over? do you own one of these: http://zapatopi.net/afdb/ maybe you could fabricate one for your truck.

Thor,please don’t be put off by people that don’t share your concern for privacy, there are many that do. Just today it was explained how a popular streaming music app was selling all your personal data and your location to 3 rd parties. This stuff is wrong and the people voicing objection to the practice should not be so casually dismissed.