Clearing foggy windows

@VDCdriver I don’t think OP has the budget to do any of these things (A/C). He’s still budgeting to get his brakes fixed in january.

For me, this post is cloased.

I thought everyone was aware that the A/C compressor operates when Defrost mode is selected

Not on all vehicles. In fact I never owned a vehicle where the AC turned on automatically when on defrost. I’ve seen it on some vehicles like Honda Civics. But my wifes Accords never did it. Her current Lexus doesn’t do it. My Pathfinders never did it…my current 4runner doesn’t do it.

My 14 yr old vehicle had a broken A/C for the past two years. I was able to keep the windows clear, but it meant having the defrost run on high heat and fan all the time - even on hot summer damp days.

Since I never had a car with A/C till I was in my 30’s, it was no big deal. Maybe not fun, but doable.

I also heard that rubbing an onion across the glass will inhibit foggy windows. YMMV.

I also heard that rubbing an onion across the glass will inhibit foggy windows. YMMV.

Tends to “fog” up the eyes though.

On all of my Toyotas, the windshield won’t defog properly if the compressor isn’t engaged

This happened to me once. I bought a used car in the fall. Its interior had been “steam cleaned.” As nightime temps fell below 32F, the insides of all the windows became covered with frost. The seats and carpets were not wet to the touch, but still…

I removed the floor pads and brought them indoors to dry out. For several nights I ran an electric heater inside the car, with windows slightly opened. The problem gradually went away. On dry sunny days I would crack a window or two open.

As others have noted, be sure the heater/defroster is set on Fresh, not on Recirc.