Chrysler 300 steering issue

Am I way out of line, thinking, maybe just maybe the sub frame/cradle could have shifted. If this happened it would explain the steering off center and continued pull. This also would not be corrected with just an alignment.

^
I like that possibility, PvtPublic.
Can the OP tell us if the car ever suffered collision damage?

In any event, the idea of spending…big bucks…to replace “the entire steering system” on a car that is probably worth no more than $4,000 just seems to be a case of misplaced priorities, IMHO.

I would say hitting a dip in the road fast enough to throw the steering out of whack could be considered collision damage.

I am going to go with power loss problem related to the TIPM. It powers all the steering and sensors.

Ok! I replaced the tipm and got a reconditioned rack plus the alignment. They also re-centered the steering wheel so top center drives straight. From all your suggestions I felt this would be the best course of action. I didn’t hit anything when the car dipped. The steering is now definitely tighter. Wear and tear had definitely loosened things up a bit.

The only other things might be the computer or the steering pump. Unless it happens again I guess I have done everything that is practical to do. Now I’m thinking I could replace those parts too, and what’s to say that the replacement parts are any better.

Sad part is that I still don’t feel safe. Without knowing for sure what caused the issue leaves me flat, thinking it might happen again, this time causing an accident! Chrysler my confidence in you has been lost. Having loved and owned 2 x 300’s.

This ignition recall is not right at all. You need to fix that ASAP !!!

Next car might be a Ford Mustang…

I’m wondering if a single vendor put out a bad batch of ignition switches. My 2008 Chevy HHR was suffering from the same problem when hitting a small bump in the road. Sometimes…the electric steering would just quit and at other times…the engine would die as well. The recall fixed the problem other than adding a new one…they screwed up the programming on my BCM (Body Control Module). Luckily a friend of mine was able to reprogram the BCM and all is fine now.

Keep us informed if you have any more failures. Thanks

Deleted.

I doubt the idea that you may have lost all power for three seconds. In that amount of time the engine would stall and completely stop rotating. It will not restart on it’s own unless you turn the key to energize the starter. No way would getting power back make the car start itself.

I would feel confident that it is now fixed. The chances of the problem being triggered by the computer, or the pump failing for a few seconds is so remote.

You do know that you can go to any dealer for this recall of the ignition switch. If none of them can help you…I’d take it up a step the the district manager for Chrysler Corp…

Yosemite