Chevy S-10 Innacurate Guages After Engine Replacement

I’ve changed the thermostat before so I knew what temperature it was supposed to be at. I also had a mouse nest in the heater core box which smelled awful. (It was parked for almost a year because I couldn’t get the engine running). So I had to take the dashboard out and clean all the vents. But yeah, the heat works great now.

@ChrisTruck

you sure are persistent

Please let us know when you get the speedometer sorted out

Finally got the speedo working today. I changed the speed sensor and made no difference. I couldn’t see any obvious wiring damaged. So I tried putting the original computer back in and the gauge goes right back to normal. I am so glad I asked for the original computer back. The guy had swapped it with a used one when I was trying to get the engine fixed. Thanks for the responses, I’m still fixing up some things so I’ll probably be back with more questions.

@ChrisTruck

You are extremely persistent, and that is a good thing

Congratulations on a job well done!

You probably saved yourself a bundle, as a new/remanned computer would probably have to be set up and programmed for your particular vehicle. Not sure if that is the case here, but it typically is

Me thinks there should be some kind of merit badge for Mr. Chris

I was kinda leery when he swapped the computer, there’s many variations of S-10. The computer looks the same but it must be programmed for a different S-10 model. Saved me a lot of grief and money keeping the original.

@ChrisTruck

You said the engine was from a Silverado, not an S10 . . . maybe the computer was for a 4.3 V6, but in a Silverado

Your mechanic should have set the speedometer factor in the computer when he installed it. If he didn’t have a scan tool to do so it should be a 1/2 hour labor fee at a dealer.

The computer was swapped before the new engine, I don’t know what it came from. A different mechanic put the new engine in. I didn’t drive it after the computer swap. All I know is it works now.