Chevy engine temps

I think that the modifications to the engine are keeping the temp high. You may never be able to get the temperature down. You do have to set the ignition timing properly. It’s too bad about the gas mileage because an unmodified engine in a Monte Carlo should get over 22 MPG on the highway. Another thing is front end alignment. It’s tough on an engine when the front tires point in different directions.

The alignment was done a week ago by a very reputable shop. and If I remember corectly that the mileage was set @ 55mph I should get better if I were to slow down it may not be as high but should be within I would say aprox. 5mpg. Thank you for all your help. I will still monitor my post for a while to see if there are any updates and ideas. I still think going from the 6.25 pulley to the 5.5 will help a bit but If I can get the parts 4 free like I have on most of the accessories It’s worth a try.

Hmmm, the part that concerns me is the “factory set” comment on the carb. There is always a requirement to tune the carb to the application. You first have to measure your manifold vacuum and adjust the power valve(s) to match. Then adjust the jetting to match your engine and finally the mixture adjustment. You’ve put custom components into your engine and it will operate differently than a bone stock setup. That carb can be put on many different engines and those engines can be configured in innumerable ways. The carb must be tuned to match.

How do the spark plugs read? Do they appear as they would if the engine was running lean? How many miles on them?

Just a reply to update. The temps did come down a bit, but not much still alot of friction on this fresh motor so hopefully will drop. But unfortunately the rear diff grenaded and now is sitting again

Putting in a cooler thermostat will only make the engine run too cool under normal load and it will not help prevent it from over heating under heavy loads.

A cool running engine engine may have less power and mileage and likely end up with oil contaminated with gas and water reducing its life.

Once open, all thermostats are equally open.