CCA Battery Trouble Electric Scooter

Powercheq is a current balancing controller. The manufacturer spec on the current control is bad or the quality control is worse.

There is no component on the eGo called a “current controller”.

The problem is the two batteries in series. There is no provision to balance the charge between the batteries. No two batteries have identical capacity. One battery always fills before the other and since the series connection forces both to have the same charge current. One battery gets chronic overcharge and the other undercharge. The problem is worsened if two new batteries are not fully charged separately before placing them in series.

One solution is to use a device called “Powerchek” which transfers current from one battery to the other to keep their voltage the same.

The other solution, which I use on my eGo, is two 12V chargers to charge each battery independently. I added a connector to gain access to the connection between the two batteries. So I have a 3 pin connector for two external 12V chargers.

I can still use the built in 24V charger if I need to charge away from home.
My current batteries are 5 years old and running strong.

Here’s a schematic for a dual 12V SLA battery charger. http://mysite.verizon.net/tbrown59/gif/charger.gif
It’s a little quirky because I was determined to use only what I had on hand.

So you are saying that the system has no provision to go faster or slower? No control to the motor output so it works like a light switch? Gotta be tough on the motors and the batteries. The charger idea is smart though. I just don’t know why the original design was done the way people here claim. Sounds like a great way to trash a LA battery by overheating.

“So you are saying that the system has no provision to go faster or slower?”

What you’re talking about is a MOTOR controller, which has nothing to do with the battery problems. It’s a high quality unit rated for 180 amps, twice what the motor can draw.

“I just don’t know why the original design was done the way people here claim.”

Exactly what aspect of the design are you questioning?