Cars You Bought and Wished You Hadn't

55 DeSoto, 68 SAAB 96, 71 SAAB 99, 73 Chevy 1/2 ton PU, 82 Ford Granada,
Everyone of these cars were forgettable for a variety of mechanical issues…regretted buying everyone of them.

1984 Corvette. Bought out of the showroom, it had every option but one. I was so proud to be able to buy a new one (two prior Corvettes were used and sold a profits) and thought I’d keep it forever based on how it would be babied (and it was). I owned it for 12 years and it had 27k when I sold it to a collector. First issue, the crystal display dashboard…replaced under warranty. From then on, 5 batteries (due to the computer never shutting off and my driving it only summers and approximately once every three weeks then); new tires at about 22k; clear-coat turning colors from doors to back bumper to the point it appeared the rear-end had been in an accident (and questioned by several auto dealers)…factory problem which had to be corrected at my cost; driver’s window falling into the door pocket as it was being stored for winter (replaced with new motor which went faster than the original, so had to get a second hand one from a junkyard to match the original speed); stretch marks on the front bumper and finally (I think), a white substance that was beginning to form on the leather that could be removed, but kept coming back (if I remember correctly). A huge disappointment and my last domestic purchase.

I wish that I had bought a Checker Marathon back in 1963. Had I done this, I would not have had to purchase any of the cars I have owned since that time.

I bought a very used right side drive mail jeep for my wife to use when she was doing a rural mail route out in the country. The route was 65 miles and had 200 or so stops, and it seemed like just the ticket for the job. As it turned out the thing was far past its expiration date mechanically, and the most primitive engineering imaginable. It was unmanageable at any speed over about 20 mph because its suspension was loose and stiff at the same time, and everything related to steering and brakes was entirely shot. We were pretty broke at the time, with no garage, and I had to try to keep it running, outside in the New England winter. She froze every day in it, it got stuck in the snow all the time, and it was just generally a bad idea.

Down in Covington VA,one cold morning I was in a building next to the Post Office they had a fleet of these Jeeps and I dont think they could get a one of them going that morning,on the other hand,the Postal trucks on the Chevy chassis seemed to be fairly depenable,so maybe the Jeeps had peculiar quirks -

@jimster, at least you had good seats in the vette…

the white stuff was oil coming out of the leather, good shoes do the same thing. you just rub it back in. a sign of quality.

I bought a used Dodge Coronet in 1978. What a POS. Ran rough when cold and would diesel when hot. When it rained the passenger carpet would get wet.