Cars people keep for 15 years

I am particularly unimpressed . . . and that’s being nice . . . with the Honda cloth upholstery as of late :frowning_face:

Wears out very quickly, and almost impossible to keep/get clean

Well, I seem to recall that you do like the new Bentleys–as I do.
I saw a brand-new Bentley Continental parked–badly–at the mall today.
I remember thinking…What an incredibly beautiful car… and what a jerk of a driver.
:hushed:

Bing, some of us don’t trade as often. The first car I remember my parents owning was a 1973 caprice (that I later learned my dad got a good deal on because it had a big block and this was near the time of the fuel crisis). The next car I remember them owning was a 1989 Buick. So 16 years between cars, they weren’t buying for styling or model changes. My Moms car now is over 10 yrs old, and my dads truck is a 2001.

I’m the same way. My car is 12, and if I buy a truck, it’s most likely going to be the previous body style instead of the current one, and that doesn’t bother me in the least. I do buy based somewhat on styling…but reliability is more of a concern for me. I don’t generally do car payments, and if I do, I try to pay off early (3 yrs or less), then keep the thing until it’s just too much of a pain in the ass to keep on the road.

A lot of people do have to have the latest and greatest, though. I don’t think they even designated a model year early on in the auto industry. The model year was invented to tell people their car was old and they need a more current model year.

I did hear (from an Accounting professor who was a car enthusiast) that Toyota suffered from quality issues during the era between 2003 and 2006, but from what I understand, Toyota has resolved those quality issues.

Our fleet of Chevy Colorado trucks at work have the same quality issues. The engines are decent, but everything else falls apart.

1 Like

Are you really using anecdote to defend a marketing slogan?

Okay, I give up. You win.

I can remember, when I was a child in the 1970s, those who could afford it bought a new car ever year or two. I think it changed when manufacturing improved, and cars started lasting long enough that you could keep a car 5-10 years and not worry about it breaking down on the side of the road.

I believe it

When I bought my 2005 Camry, it was 7 years old.

The headliner was already falling down, and the rear plastic speaker grilles . . . on the hatshelf . . . had literally crumbled to dust

I immediately headed to the Toyota dealer and bought the speaker grilles (I already knew of the existence of a technical service bulletin addressing the speaker grilles). Not surprisingly, they had plenty of them on hand.

As for the headliner, I drove the car for several more years, until it reached the point where rearward visibility was impacted. Then I had a local upholstery shop redo the headliner.

I assume you’re talking about the first generation Colorado, the small trucks. Yeah, we have a few of those in our fleet, as well. In addition to the shoddy interior, we’ve actually had many engine related problems. Pretty much all valvetrain-related. Supposedly, GM fixed the valvetrain problems at some point. I call bogus on that, though, as several of the trucks that had problems had the “new and improved” engines. Low compression and massive cylinder leakage, due to severely pitted valve seats. They didn’t fix anything, as far as I’m concerned

Lately, we’ve been getting a lot of the newer Colorados. Sure are a lot bigger and nicer. Let’s see how they hold up.

I’ve only owned 2 cars beyond 15 years; a couple of RAV4s. The 1999 is the most reliable car I’ve ever owned, the 2002 just above average.
A couple of decades ago I heard some auto executive say that GM, Ford, and probably even Chrysler could build Honda/Toyota quality cars, but not at those prices. He also said that Japanese companies with assembly plants in the US had to run the assembly line slower than in Japan, and have more supervisors.

I heard/read the same thing

And one of the reasons cited for NOT being able to build similar quality cars at those prices was the american labor force. High wages, benefits, unions, and the list goes on. I’ll go no further, because I don’t want this to turn into a political discussion

We are kind of spoiled as Americans in general. And I’m included. Some countries are thankful just to have food. My family argues over which restaurant we want to go to. I’m afraid that plays in to how our labor force thinks sometimes. Not that I want people to work their tails off for minimum wage. But we need to get back to the attitude that we’d be willing to work our tails off for minimum wage to put food on the table, if that’s what it came down to. Just my opinion. I’ve always been willing to do anything (just about) if it paid enough. I get the feeling auto workers in the past got a little spoiled and pampered. I’ve never been an auto worker, so I could be off base with those accusations. I see managerial types at work that think they don’t have to get their hands dirty. I’m a manager myself. But at the end of the day, you do what you have to do to keep things rolling and make that dinero, and I, you, we aren’t too good to do any job. My opinion. Had a few beers, and never been in a Union, so pardon me if I ramble. I just kind of get the feeling that auto workers in Japan probably don’t balk if they’re asked to clean the toilets. Pay me enough, and the toilets will glisten! Haha.

1 Like

I don’t think that scenario would ever play out, so I’m not sure why you brought it up

There are people who get paid to perform those jobs you mentioned

so why pay somebody auto-worker level wages to clean the toilet, when you’ve already got somebody whose job responsibility is just that, and is getting paid less . . . ? Our cleaning person comes by once a day, so why take a mechanic away from his work, and tell him to clean the toilets?

I’ve been at union and non-union jobs, and I’ve always been willing to work hard at both

On the flip side, you’ll always find lazy guys, no matter if it’s union or non-union. It’s amazing how clever some people are, when it involves finding a way to be lazy. They work so hard at it, it’s ironic. They may as well just do their job properly. Some people will always find a way to manipulate the system, so that they can get paid, without actually doing their job

3 Likes

Some, like Andy Griffin, might feel proud to be the PLO.

I don’t like working with folks who find a particular job beneath them because they’re a (insert title here) and overqualified to do that job. I feel like the auto workers union at one time put the workers and what they wanted above all else, including profits. “You can’t sweep up your mess, you’re a body panel stamping technician”. Whatever. If your boss asks you to do it, and it isn’t illegal or unethical, you do it or go home. The cleaning the toilets scenario was an exaggeration.

But on the other side, management can’t take advantage of the workers.

I do, but with Bentley it’s the uncompromising luxury of the interior combined with the sporty performance and handling all wrapped up in world class styling that I like. But I also realize it’s a pipe dream. If I actually came into wealth to where money didn’t matter. and actually did get a Bentley, once the novelty wore off I’d probably become unimpressed. That’s the way dreams often work.

I used to be impressed by Mercedes many years ago. And then I got to drive one for a week, and I was underwhelmed. I actually liked my Camry better. I’ve never looked at Mercedes the same way since.

That latrine clip reminded me of my first day in basic training. I was the one that took it upon myself to unclog all the stools and get them cleaned up again and working. What a smelly mess. The boys before us must have thought it would be a good joke but was really sick. I’ve cleaned plenty and before everyone wore gloves

Seems all we have is blue gloves, note if your dentist is also your proctologist, get your dental work done first!

1 Like

I’m a mechanic

If I drop something, I’ll pick it up. If spill a bunch of oil and coolant on the floor, I’ll mop it up.

But I’m not cleaning the toilet, because we actually have people who get paid specifically to do that

Why should I do their job?

They might not appreciate it

Just as I don’t think the cleaning person shouldn’t be fixing the vehicles

I would not appreciate it, for that matter

I don’t feel the cleaning people are beneath me. They simply have a different job. Several of them go to night school and obtain better paying jobs. So I’m not arrogant enough to think I’m better than them. I know that’s not true

Our boss would never ask us to clean the toilet. He knows we have people that are paid to that. And he knows they come by once a day. What’s the point of the boss telling me at 7:00AM to clean the toilet, when he knows the cleaning person comes by at 8:00AM every day, and cleans the toilet?

I kindly suggest you drop it

The only reason I made any comments in regards to the toilet, is because YOU brought it up

But I’ll gladly discuss other things with you

Is that supposed to be a statement, or wishful thinking?

If it’s a statement, I’m afraid I can’t quite agree with you, because I have seen it occur, and plenty of times

If it’s wishful thinking . . . meaning you wish it wouldn’t occur . . . then we are in agreement

I am currently an overpaid computer guy, Looking to retire soon, I do not see any job beneath my dignity, and yes I have done a bunch of jobs, but when I need the honey wagon to clean out the septic system do I look down on them as being a guy in a place that is dishonerable? not at all! They are making good money doing their job, and I would do it also if need be.

I clean the toilets, take out the trash, and do the dishes. Hey, it’s my job! At home.

2 Likes

I didn’t tell you to clean the toilet. I’m not your wife or your boss. It was a metaphor for being willing to do anything the job requires.

I’m actually in management. Middle management, I suppose. And during an economic downturn we had to cut back. Management above me decided we could do without a cleaning crew. So guess what? I had crane operators clean toilets. And I did it right beside them.

I’m not sure why you seem to be getting upset. But if you want to be upset, I guess you can…

I guess there’s good management and poor management, and workers with a good work ethic along with those with a poor work ethic. I imagine a company that fails has a mixture of all four, with a few too many of the poor managers and workers with a bad work ethic.