Cars from the "good old days"

I have owned automobiles from every decade from the 1940’s through the present. I think that the steel was of a heavier gauge on my 1947 Pontiac and 1948 Dodge than in any car I have owned since, but my present cars are much safer–better steering and brakes, seat belts and shoulder harnesses, etc. Preston Tucker incorporated some safety features in the Tucker automobile that he tried to bring to market in the late 1940’s. Ford began offering some safety features beginning with the 1956 models–seat belts, padded sun visors, energy absorbing deep dish steering wheel, better door locks that wouldn’t come open, etc. However, in those days, performance sold cars. The seat belts were optional in the 1956 Fords and didn’t have many takers. Customers bought Chevrolets that advertised performance and presumably didn’t get into accidents.

The late Tom McCahill who tested cars for the now defunct Mechanix Illustrated magazine was an advocate for safety features in cars at least as far back as the early 1960’s. He devoted a whole chapter in his book “What You Should Know About Cars” to safety features he thought should be standard. Shoulder harnesses, a built in roll cage, and bank vault type door locks were just a few of his suggestions.

On the other hand, the bomb-site hood ornament on the late 1940’s Buicks was great for aiming at and spearing pedestrians. By 1957, Oldsmobile had two rocket ornaments, one on each front fender, so that the driver could bag two pedestrians with one blow.

The body guard of Princess Diana proved that you can crash headlong into a concrete barrier at close to 100 mph and survive if you wear you seat belt! The other 3 passengers in the car (Diana, her boyfriend and the intoxicated driver) died because they were not strapped in.

I was in Paris shortly after the accident and the tour guide showed us the abuttment at the underpass; the scars were still visible. The S Class Mercedes is one of the most solidly built cars and will withstand incredible forces without crumbling the passenger compartment.

Your cousin would have easily survived in such a car had it been on the market in 1958.

heaven help them if they were bent over at the time…
yeouch!

I’d say you have more credibility than the younger people because you saw those old 60s cars on the road all the time, unlike us today, who only get to see the newer, safer cars.