Carburetors

I’d either get the Honda Goldwing or a Can-Am Spyder if I were to buy a bike.

How about one of these?
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=morgan+three+wheeler&qpvt=morgan+three+wheeler&FORM=VDRE

Personally if I was going to own a bike again I’d be looking at BMWs…

@oblivion
Thanks…that makes me right once out of the last twenty times. ;=))) forget the pie, the odds are with you the next twenty…
I researched trying to change my Yamaha generator to propane after ethenol problems. There were kit’s that were very easy to install but the price Made it not worth it for a gen…there are conversions for outboards too and small motors which IMO, is where the $$$$ is making it very worthwhile. Generally, if it’s done, I see propane, methanol, nat gas…all competitive with EFI and gasoline for price, convenience and performance…This makes a good reason for a carb comeback but the only reason.

Very difficult and expensive for diesel to do with their FI system. So much so, I have been told by diesel repair man it maybe better to buy them made that way.

I bought a propane house gen and my son in law bought a portable propane house gen on my recommendation…it is the only way to go when you “need” to have something start after sitting a long time…propane stores without degradation a long, long, long long…time. That works for me. I didn’t want to say stores “indefinitely” and start my string of twenty wrong …;=(((

If Dennis Hopper turned environmentalist, this is his next bike…
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

@mountainbike: “I still wonder why all bikes sold in the U.S. aren’t fuel injected.”

I think the reason is motorcycle makers found ways to meet California’s C.A.R.B. emissions standards using a modern design of the classic carburetor. My 2005 Honda Shadow Aero has sub air filters that filter air that is pumped into the valves to make the tailpipe emissions cleaner. These carbs are pretty bulletproof, but now that they’ve been using EFI in motorcycles for a while, consumers want the convenience and added fuel economy that comes with EFI.

Honda has switched over most of its motorcycles to EFI, but one exception is the 234 cc Rebel. However, Kawasaki has recently upped the displacement of its smallest Ninja from 250 cc to 300 cc and added EFI. I think the new 300 cc EFI engine gets the same fuel economy as the 250 cc carburated engine, about 70 MPG.

Here’s something i’d like to know. If you get aftermarket exhaust pipes on a carburated motorcycle, you have to re-jet (adjust) the carb to keep an appropriate air/fuel mixture now that the motorcycle can breathe easier. Do you have to make any adjustments on an EFI engine when you install an aftermarket exhaust system?

@Dagosa, I’m pretty sure Dennis Hopper is dead. He’s not going to be riding anything, unless there are motorcycles in the afterlife.

@Whitey…Let me amend that to " if Dennis Hopper were alive today and an environmentalist…he would. Although I did see someone who look a lot like him at the Hardly dealer. Obits are not always that reliable.

I think they should be able to design catalytic converters for motorcycles that are hidden inside the exhaust pipes, so a bike with catalytic converters wouldn’t look any different than one without them.

I can think of some bike designs that wouldn’t be totally ruined by noticeable catalytic converters, but on a cruiser, they should try to hide them out of sight.

Isn’t anyone going to answer my question?

If you get aftermarket exhaust pipes on a carburated engine, you have to re-jet the carb(s) to keep an appropriate air/fuel mixture. Do you have to make any adjustments on an EFI engine when you install an aftermarket exhaust system?

I think most of the EFI systems can handle different pipes, from what I read, so it’s not as required. But the EFI systems can also be optimized, so folks who go to the expense of a high performance set of pipes might also do that, too.

Can I guess that changing the exhaust in this situation is comparable to using a K&N filter on my truck? If the improvement of performance is non existent unless towing a trailer up Pikes Peak at wide open throttle the cost of the improvement might be better spent on preventive maintenance.

That’s how I would look at it, although there are issues unique to exhaust upgrades, especially on cars, related to back-pressure. I don’t think you’re as likely to notice the same drop in fuel economy with a custom air intake as you are with a custom exhaust.

Yep, I’ve read several articles where the ‘high performance’ pipes on a sportbike yielded ZERO additional hp. But they were lighter, and LOUDER…

I would think that since you’re not changing the intake valves or the cam profile, that the jet size would remain the same with aftermarket pipes.

Typically with carbs you go to slightly bigger jets because of the lower back pressure.