Carbon build up on Valves? Prevention? Treatment? How often to change oil?

And if that advice turns out to be faulty, will “the Mobil guys” replace your engine w/o charge?

3 Likes

Someone posted to look for Filter manuf recommendation on change - I could not find it - do you guys see if there is a recommendation - otherwise, it might be on the box:

@Mustangman - will you vouch that this product, assuming correctly used, will not cause any side effects? Thank you

I have used Seafoam on 4 cars. I have had no issues after the exhaust smoke clears except a very short term CEL.

That is all I can say about the product since I did not own an endoscope to view the intake valves until recently.

@Mustangman - very much appreciate your transparency.
Was the CEL pointing to anything or misfire?

I have used the throttle body cleaner, believe by CRC.

This is a common issue on Turbo Diesel engines. try changing the oil every 10k km

Cel was a misfire. Went away in a few minutes. I reset the light and it did not come back.

Follow the oil life monitor . If you are conservative get it changed when it is down to 10-20
% .

In 1999 that feature was unavailable?

How universal are oil Life monitors? The only car I have own edthat had one was a 1998 Oldsmobile.

B.S. Mobil 1 has been around since 1975.

2 Likes

+1
… and Amsoil was on the market about 2-3 years before Mobil-1.

2 Likes

And another oil thread that takes way too many replies to get the point across .

Maybe John Goreham will tell us where the forum he monitors that does not allow oil threads .

I meant to say that Full Syn was not a commodity - or it was not widely adapted.
Pls correct me if I missed something.

At this point, nearly all cars have them.

My 99 Honda had one, the 01 Saab had one, the 02 and 04 Chevys had them, my 07 Ford did not but the 13 does as does the 14 Audi. Only the Saab and the Audi have calendars built in that would trigger an oil change at one year no matter what mileage. None of the others have that.

Could u tell us which Honda is this?
It appears Honda first test it on “Honda” before releasing it on “Acura”.
Have a 2013 Mazda but it does not have it either.

99 Honda S2000

Cool - Do u still have it?
What is the depreciation is like on this car?

No, sold it a few years ago. These cars currently do not depreciate, they seem to gain in value every year. They have not been made since 2009.

Miatas got them in 2016