Car Wash + Marital Disagreement

I can’t say that I’ve seen a garage without a floor drain around here. That would be pretty messy when parking a car that got covered in snow or slush while it was out.

Floor drains are very rare here. They don’t allow that stuff to go down the sanitary sewer lines which would mean a separate line to the storm line which you can’t do. Same as discharge from a sump pump. Has to go on the ground.

I don’t think it’s been done since the 60s but I’m not really up on the pollution Regs. I think you could do a French drain for it.

Generally, they slope the slab towards the door a little here so the water runs out of the garage. Or that’s how I did mine, anyway. It’s not going to pour out the door, but it’s not going to let water stand either. Just a slight pitch. I have washed my wife’s car in the garage a time or two just to stay out of the sun. I’m “Nordic” (aka pretty damn white).

Garage drains uncommon here in San Jose, but in Colorado some garages had them. My Colorado garage didn’t, and caused the bottom of the door to get a case of wood-rot. The snow on the tires melted, water ran down the garage-floor, and accumulated at the bottom of the door. Discovered why floor drain is a good idea in snowy areas.

Mine are steel. They could rust out, of course. I’ll probably have moved on or died by then! :laughing:

Reminds me, self-serving termite inspector claimed the rot at the bottom of the garage door might be termites … lol…

Ok I’m from the NE where the snow shows you the quality of your neighbiors but this is silly ,

It’s called a Rain Barrel, catch the excess from the weat months to water your crops or car during the dry months.

Duh!

That’s the normal way they are done here with the slope whether you ask for it or not. Steel door but they rust too. I put that glue down bottom on floor whatever it is called but then heavy duty door bottoms too. For rain but mostly to keep pests out. Could never get a good seal otherwise. But yeah in the winter water accumulates but I just sweep it out once in a while.

The house we rented for six months had a drain but the slope was so severe it really was a pain. Not sure but I think it would have been built late 60s.

If I remember correctly that is the national building code.

That law was repealed years ago, and was so ancient it was baked into the state’s Constitution.Prior appropriation laws were pretty common in the West back in the day, because water was so scarce that they didn’t want it being hoarded by people when it could be used somewhere. More modern studies showed that private water collection doesn’t really have an impact on how much water is available elsewhere, so they’ve been getting repealed.

1 Like

Your husband is more or less correct. Automatic car washes (with fabric media) will leave microscratches on the finish. Eventually it will mar the paint noticeably. To correct this the vehicle will have to be polished and sealed/waxed. I would not take my vehicles through an automatic car wash four or five times a week. That’s beyond excessive IMHO.

2 Likes

I think it actually enters the realm of being obsessive.
:thinking:

2 Likes

Reminds me of “The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas” when Barney (Stephen Baldwin) is pigging out at the buffet and a lady says to him:

All you can eat doesn’t mean until you EXPLODE

:laughing:

2 Likes

Background: Here in the very dusty, windy, highly polluted Central Valley of California the car gets dirty every day. It is not garaged. Can not leave windows in house open long due to dust that blows in. Intense heat - over 100 in summer- and constant sun nearly bakes the greasy dirt onto the car. And re. OCD…I have two large, drooling dogs that get dirty nearly every day when romping around out near farmland. They ride inside. The interior of the car is cleaned infrequently. No OCD here. :grin: I have cancelled car wash membership and truck will be dirty inside and out. Unless anyone wants to volunteer…? Thanks again for everyone’s advice. Made husband very happy that he was right - first time in 11 years :laughing:

2 Likes