Car stopped while driving - Engine issues with the car on 2005 Toyota Corolla

No disagreement, it’s entirely possible there was nothing practical the OP could have done to prevent this from happening.

I have never seen an OEM brand filter “fall off”, seems reasonable to use a shop with quality parts.

Certainly it does, but any shop could obtain an OEM filter from a dealership if they call and request one I would think.

I have to note, too, that I have used plenty of filters from Autozone (Fram, Purolator, STP, etc) changing my own oil and have never had a filter fall off…

That could be, possibly somehow, I guess, how I don’t know, but please understand that a car’s oil filter screws on with several turns. I believe it would have to loosen for a certain amount of time and begin leaking slowly before totally unscrewing and dropping off.

If that was not the case that filter would have been so loose after the previous oil change that the engine would have been out of oil months earlier, shortly after the change.

By checking the oil level at the dipstick, frequently, as advised/recommended in the Owner’s Manual a leak could probably be discovered before it becomes a major leak.

The choice belongs to the car owner/operator. That individual can either follow the manufacturer’s admonition or just believe nothing can be done.

I believe that most leaks can be caught early and nipped in the bud. I’m one who frequently checks all fluid levels under the hood. It literally takes me seconds.
CSA

3 Likes

I have never seen an aftermarket oil filter fall off either. I don’t think it is the brand that keeps it in place, it is how you put it on.

If there is a technique that prevents the threads in a cheap oil filter from failing it would have to be in the hands of a talented mechanic, not at the quick lube.

1 Like

Wow. Would you be willing to explain that one? It sounds like you have an extremely negative opinion of Toyota. Most of the world disagrees.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know. I have never owned a Toyota. I drove a new 2008 Corolla rental for two weeks. The interior plastic trim kept falling off so I just threw it in the trunk. I have owned one Honda but it only had two wheels.