Car stopped while driving - Engine issues with the car on 2005 Toyota Corolla

true …

No . . .

My whole point is I think if the mechanic truly botched the oil filter installation, the filter would have fallen off 6 minutes afterwards. It wouldn’t have taken 6 months to fall off

Couldn’t you detect my sarcasm over the internet . . . ?! :smirk:

To be crystal clear . . . I don’t think the mechanic is to blame

2 Likes

Until we see if the bottom of the oil filter is attached to the engine or not, we have no clue, stuff happens, not placing any blame, I do not know the warning light system for oil pressure on my car, and doubt an average driver does either, excluding most other members here of ignorance of what those lights really mean.

There’s no question IMHO that the OP was negligent in not checking the oil level regularly.
However, too many times over the years I’ve seen things that I would not have guessed would happen. I’m inclined to take the OP at his/her word that the process happened gradually until the final loss of the filter. I see nothing that would suggest that the OP is being less than honest.

My suggestion agrees with that of others. This being a 12 year old vehicle to start with, if it were mine I’d seek out a used engine. Try to get the ECU (the computer) with the engine if you can. That makes incompatibility less likely.

Sincere best. Let us know what you decide and how you make out.

I think there would have been oil spots at work, in the driveway, a puddle in the church parking lot, etc.

Yes I am surprised sometimes at paring lots, I look under my car when I go back to my parking spot, and oh gosh is that mine? Many cars seem to leave lots of spots

My advice to OP to minimize the chance of this happening again with the replacement engine, do a little legwork, ask friends and co-workers etc who they use, and find a well recommended inde shop to change your oil for you. Check the oil on the dipstick before driving away from the shop immediately after an oil change, and again later in the day. And the next morning. Then a couple times a month.

Thank you all for comments. I agree that I should have been more careful and checked the engine oil using dipstick. But again, in my defense, other than this forum, I don’t think a normal person would really know all this, and checks oil level regularly. In any case, I am taking/towing the car to a Toyota dealer since the dealer has convinced me to run few tests tomorrow so ensure that the engine is really toast. The dealer does not want me to give up on the engine yet.

Also, I got the estimate from my mechanic for $2500 for labor + parts to replace the engine. Now the question is whether to spend this money for a car which was really worth $3500 or so to begin with. Or, easiest is to send to Junkyard :disappointed_relieved: Not sure which way I will lean.

Other than this, the car is in good driving condition and I have owned it for more than 12 years.

Just to be the devil’s advocate here, since a filter is very very unlikely to fall off after 6 months, if the filter was really not there, is there any chance you have some haters that would loosen the oil filter on your car?

I am not sure, but that is interesting thought. My car was parked outside, in a train station, during the prior day so it is possible that it is part of vandalism incident (although I would highly suspect this one).

Did you mean “average” person when you wrote “normal” person?

A couple of days ago I asked if you had an Owner’s Manual and whether or not you had read it. I don’t recall seeing an answer. I could have missed it.

I agree that possibly the average driver does not check oil enough or very regularly as outlined in the car’s Owner’s Manual. I don’t have those statistics. That goes for many/most standard maintenance items that go along with car ownership/operation.

Is it normal to buy an expensive item like a car that one may need to have in order to work and function in life and not bother to find out what minimum requirements are to keep it functioning so that it can be depended on daily?

Good question. Feeling lucky?
CSA

1 Like

Based on the number of posts that we get from people with engines that seized for lack of lubrication, I think that there are a fair number of people who fail to lift the hood and do regular checking of their car’s fluids. Coupled with those who don’t do regular fluid checks, we seem to have a distressingly large faction that don’t know what low oil pressure means.

The fact that every Owner’s Manual explains the importance of regular fluid checking as well as the necessity to shut down one’s engine as soon as the Low Oil Pressure warning light starts glowing, means–IMHO–that these folks are simply not as responsible as they should be. Either they failed to read the Owner’s Manual, or they failed to follow the advice contained therein.

However, even if this avoidance behavior is somewhat widespread, I hope that nobody really believes it to be “normal”.
:thinking:

1 Like

Unfortunately, you’re right.

I used to read it wen I bought a new car. But my last cars had a 500 page tome, not easy to read. Plus it’s poorly organized and missing important (my opinion) information.

For example, my 500 page manual says nothing about the steering wheel lock, and transmission fluid changes, to mention just two of the many lacks I have found.

I don’t think putting that in the manual is a big deal. Many people never have that problem and I can see some people that would worry every time they parked the vehicle.

Also I have large manuals but they seem to be clear enough.

It is a wonder that these kind of people don’t run out of gas.

1 Like

Many of them do run out of gas.

It’s not really necessary (IMHO) to read every word in the manual. For example, one of my cars (possibly my Accord??) had almost 20 pages on “how to use your seatbelts”. Naturally, I skimmed over that stuff and focused on things like the controls, the gauges, the maintenance schedule, and some other important stuff.

I am willing to bet at least a cup of coffee that most of the folks who don’t know about the importance of regularly checking the dipstick, or what low oil pressure means have never even bothered to take their manual out of the clear plastic overwrap.
:thinking:

1 Like

I encounter so many people who don’t keep up other aspects of their life (health, finances, family relationships), so it’s no surprise their machines get neglected too.

When I took Private Pilot flight instruction there was much emphasis on the physical well-being of the aircraft. Perhaps it’s because of that added feature, over and above operating a vehicle in just one plane, called elevation. Safety is the main factor driving this concern.

However, aviation engines are very expensive to purchase and maintain, but expensive is a relative term. To many, car engine replacement or repairs could also be rather tough on a budget.

Pilots physically check engine fluids (and check fuel conditions) prior to nearly every flight.

Not only was I required to purchase books and materials for flying an aircraft and for learning about weather, but I was required to purchase an Owner’s Manual for the type of aircraft I would be flying for my lessons. Furthermore, I had to read that manual and was tested on the information.

I’m not recommending to anybody to read a car’s Owner’s Manual in one sitting, but rather a little at a time.

I know that every one of my cars manuals contain a recommendation/admonition about checking engine oil at every fuel fill-up.

What are car manufacturers doing to help educate people? Nothing?

Cars are becoming appliances and many owners don’t start their cars any more, they “turn them on” as one would with any appliance.

Cars tell people when to change oil and do other maintenance and people seem to be amazed that the car didn’t say anything about adding oil between changes when the engine blows up! Stupid car.

Sales folks could help educate buyers (AFTER the actual sale, but before owner leaves dealership) about the need to check AND adjust under-hood fluids regularly and they could show them how (after they learn to do this themselves). Another shocker is when people find out that warranty may not cover running a vehicle out of engine oil during a 7,500 to 10,000 mile change interval.

Thanks! I feel better, now. :blush:
CSA

1 Like