Car starts but has no power & can't shift out of Park! Please help :(

Yeah I will give it to best buy to recycle even though I really wanted to smash it with a baseball bat. Lol no joke. Thanks everyone for all your help. I’m going to try everything that was recommended and let you know how it goes.

The bottom left connector with the solid black wire? hmmm … that may be problematic to repair. If I had that problem on my Corolla I’d disconnect the battery negative, then remove that connector from the junction box and clean the contacts on the end of it. What I’d use would depend on how the contacts are configured. If it is just a spade-like connector, I’d use some 220 grit al-oxide sandpaper to return it back to bright and shiny. The problem you may have tho is the other side of that connector, which won’t be so easy to clean. It probably got burned and carbonized due to an overcurrent condition. Suggest to post a photo of what the junction box side looks like with connector removed, maybe somebody here has experience with cleaning it.

I had a similar problem years ago w/a VW Rabbit, where the connector (for the fuel pump in that case) had burned the connection at the junction box. Called a “relay plate” in VW parlance. No amount of cleaning worked. I had to re-wire around that connection to bypass the junction box entirely. The alternative was to replace the junction box, which was an expensive item. Before trying to decide if bypassing the junction box is a possibility in your case, try the cleaning method and let us know the results. Best of luck.

Hello everybody, I got one quick question. When spraying a electrical harness connector with contact cleaner, am I okay to do so with only the Negative battery terminal disconnected or do I have to remove both Negative and Positive?

Removing and isolating (preventing it from accidentally making contact with the negative battery post) the negative terminal is sufficient.

1 Like

Hello everybody, I just wanted to update you guys with what’s going on with my car. I brought my car to a mechanic to take a quick look and he said the problem didn’t look very simple and that he doesn’t do electrical. I called and asked many other mechanics on what the problem might be and they said it sounds like a loose wire in the wiring harness or it needs to be cleaned. This whole thing has been driving me insane but I have GREAT news. I was looking at my battery connections and noticed that there was some corrosion on the connectors which had a blueish color.I did not think it could be so simple but I figured I had to try so I cleaned the negative and positive battery post with baking soda and went ahead and bought some new brass battery terminal connectors and put them on today. I put dielectric grease on both battery posts and on the terminal wires. I hooked everything up and tightened it and my car started right up and all my power works including shifting gears. ( THANK GOD!! )

I appreciate everybody’s help here and hope somebody can find some use out of this thread in the future.

I have a quick question and would appreciate any and all help.

Am I suppose to put dielectric grease on the actual battery terminal connectors or only the posts/wires?

1 Like