Car inspections

1. Yes, different states have different requirements. Here in MD, where safety inspection is only for titling a used car (I don’t know about trucks), the car must have all the original safety equipment working. That’s why I had to get a salvage yard side reflector when I sold the '87 Century a few years ago. I think similar logic would apply in the OP’s case and in many of the other cases mentioned here.

2. Some of the political commentary in this forum is getting annoying, especially coming from a group that usually gives calm, sound non-technical personal advice (“Your newly licensed 16-yr-old does not ‘deserve’ a $90K SUV.” “That doesn’t make enough difference to be upset at your spouse.” Etc.) Can we ease up a bit, please – ALL sides?)

Now I gotta go start digging out from three feet of snow.

I had an old Nissan econobox that failed the Pennsylvania state inspection back in around 1990 for the exact same reason. It had an inoperable rear wiper and couldn’t pass because of it. I ended up just removing the wiper and plugging the hole with a rubber plug.

I must say that I don’t understand the comments that describe me as hypocritical because I both say that I support auto safety inspections and question why rear window wipers are included. Why is it so difficult to understand that someone can support safety measures while also opposing over reaching? My original post asked why a rear window wiper can be cited. If you have a rational answer, give it; if not, what’s your point?

The rational answer is that many states say that the safety equipment that is installed has to work. Wipers are considered safety equipment. I have an example. I used to have a Chevy pickup truck with clearance lights on the top of the cab. Those lights were not required equipment, but since they were installed on the truck they had to work to pass inspection. Same thing for fog lights on a lot of cars, they are an option, but if they are installed they have to work.

I’d say there is a good chance you could remove your rear window wiper and you would pass. Of course, this depends on your particular state and how their inspections work. You should probably contact whatever agency oversees inspections and ask them.

Vans and other vehicles without NO rear windows are exempt from safety given their commercial nature. Safety is tertiary in the design and obvious in crashes.

Jonas1: call the State Police in your area and ask to speak to a state inspection trooper. He/she can answer your question as to whether the item fails.

Well, jonas1, what state do you live in? If we knew maybe someone could google the state inspection procedure. It could be that it should actually pass and the mechanic just assumed wrongly that it failed without actually checking in the inspection procedure book.

I have noticed that most cars with a rear windshield wiper have rear windshields that tend to be perpendicular to the ground, while cars without rear windshield wipers have rear windshields that reside at an acute angle relative to the ground.

There could be a logical reason for requiring the rear wiper on some cars and not others. If there is, you might find it in the inspection regulations.

1. Check for proper contact of blades with windshield.
    a. REJECT when:
  1. Wiper blade fails to contact the windshield firmly.
    *NOTE: Rear window wipers are optional and do not need to work.

I took that quote from the 2009 Utah Motor Vehicle inspection guide (my state). So you need to get on line and see if you have a similar statement. If so, I’d take that back to share with the inspector.

My point being that “State Inspections” have NOTHING to do with safety. They are about MONEY…Bureaucrats claim they are removing “unsafe” cars from the road…But these so-called unsafe cars are not involved in any more accidents than “safe” cars…Accidents caused by mechanical failure happen just as often in inspection states as in non-inspection states. Most “inspections” are tailored to make the job as easy and profitable as possible for the inspector, not to find any real safety problems…Take Massachusetts…Do they actually pull a wheel and LOOK at the brakes?? No, they do not… They don’t even put it up on a lift. $35, thanks, see you next year! It’s a joke.

Some states have better inspection programs than others. I suspect that most are jokes given the comments here. In at least one state you can be pretty sure that all of the safety equipment is working for the next year of high mileage driving your wheels are not going to fall off.

Check this out:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm

I hear you, benny. I’m a PA inspection mechanic. Quite a while back we got a bulletin from the state saying rear wipers didn’t have to work. That’s why I wanted jonas to post back & tell us what state he’s in.

“Animal Farm”.eh? Caddyman-Kevin

jonas, if you live in NY, the answer is in the guide that BeadsandBeads posted. If you live somewhere else, maybe your state has a similar guide. Print it and take it to the inspection station. If they refuse to budge, call the state police. In MD, they monitor the garages that perform state safety inspections.

first, I live in MA (Sorry,should have included that in my original posting). I actually have contacted the state motor vehicle department. They just got back to me to say that rear wipers are not part of the inspection.

Part of my original thinking was that if something is necessary for safety, it should not be optional, it should be part of the required equipment like windshield wipers. I also recognize that some optional equipment, oncew put on the car, becomes an intregal part of the vehicle and needs to be kept working. I fail to see how rear wipers is such.

Thanks to all.

Some “Inspectors” get drunk with power and just make up the rules as they go along…They LIVE to fail people…

In my state, the inspection laws state that what ever came equipped on the original vehicle
is subject to a safety inspection