Car for my son

Yes, many years ago, Volvo had a significant safety advantage over the competition (with the possible exception of Mercedes) in terms of passenger protection. However, everyone else caught up with Volvo several years ago, and new Volvos are no safer than a Ford, a Toyota, a Chevy, a Honda, a Subaru, or even a Hyundai–in most cases.

And, in the case of old Volvos, they are most definitely not up to the safety standards of cars made within the past 6 years or so. Things change.

They’re not particularly unsafe in collisions, but they are short-wheel-base, high-center of gravity vehicles. They are not meant to be driven like sports cars, or even like regular sedans. They aren’t made to be driven fast, or to take corners fast. As long as your son knows this and drives accordingly it should be fine.

If 4WD is needed, a Subaru should be almost as good for anything he’s likely to face in Florida (unless he’s deliberately looking for a challenge…and if you get him the Jeep, he’d damn well better) as the Jeep, and are among the safest cars you can buy. (Literally any model since the mid-90s or so, this is the case)

You might consider getting an older model with the 4.0 liter engine. The new 3.7 liter V6 is well-regarded enough, but the 4.0 I6 is legendary. My favorite 4.0 story ended involved the replacement of a water pump…not because the owner thought there was anything wrong with it, but because he was doing other stuff at the same time. It ended with a picture of the water pump impeller…rusted down to nothing. It had no effect on performance.

Edit: Also, if there are people to help push or pull your son out of the sand, it doesn’t matter what he drives.

Do yourself and son a big favor for both of you. Tell him to save up and buy his own car. Doing it will, in the long run, be as important as the sheepskin.

We’re facing the same decision except my college son goes to school in California and we live in Colorado. Several people mentioned buying a mustang. How can a car that is so low to the ground and with so many “blind spots” be better than a jeep wrangler? Also, the new Jeep wranglers have great safety ratings although I agree with the noisy on the road comments and poor gas mileage. I’d love to just put him in a tank–like a Navigator.