Car for Chicago?

You don;t need AWD or 4WD, but I do recommend winter tires.
truth is, Chigaco has excellent mass transit systems and you won’t even need a car. And having a car in any city is a pain. You need to get it out on “snow days”, you need to find (and pay for) parking, you can’t get anywhere fast due to the traffic, and when you get there you can’t find a place to park. Wait until you’re settled into your college and see what the other students do. I’ll bet few of them will have cars.

@mikey
I’m always looking for a wise asteroid thing to say…my I pad jumps around on me too with my pudgy dingers hitting everything but the right key, and I’ve done it many times… I knew something like that happened.
Btw, I’m looking at this thread and thinking, how many different ways can you say," you don’t need awd," likeit’s a plague or something. No one ever needs anything but 2wd if they can afford to stay home when conditions are severe enough. I know where you live and you do I. You really don’t need it there either but…it’s good to know you have it…just in case you have to travel when nothing else will.

Now if you’re in Denver tomorrow, you’re gonna NEED 4WD, no question. 2-3 foot drifts in April? Hope Robert doesn’t have to make a blood delivery. Sorry for off topic, I’m just working out my contribution to the national debt.

@Bing

Nope, didn’t need 4WD today in the Denver area.
I got to work just fine. There wasn’t really anything to speak of, snow wise, though there was a bit of ice under the 1/2 and inch of snow on the ground, in spots.

I’m still grateful to have winter tires on my car, though.
I watched many an idiot on the road in front of me, and around me, perform stupid actions, and having the snow tires gives me extra options, that I didn’t need to use.

One brainless moron completely drove right through a red light, never having even attempted to hit the brakes, because she was busy yapping away on the phone, while the guy in front of me started to turn left when our left turn arrow turned green.

She never even looked up, even though both of us were blaring our horns at her, and were already in the intersection when she went blazing through at 45 mph.

She was lucky she didn’t hit the guy in front of me, because I would have decked her.

BC.

“One brainless moron completely drove right through a red light, never having even attempted to hit the brakes, because she was busy yapping away on the phone…”

A new arrival from the Left Coast. Or the Right Coast.

Yeah I had one blow through a stop sign and then give me a salute for being in her way.

You musta lucked out though. The interstate in South Dakota is closed all the way east to west and its heading here to Minnesota for revenge.