Can you plow snow with a ford ranger?

Bobcat makes a plow attachment that can go on its utility vehicles. That would probably be a pretty good setup.

Whitey…the really cool thing that manufacturers have done is standardize the quick attach mechanism used for the front implements on skid steer loaders like those made by Bobcat and others. Tractor manufacturers have followed suit , I think Deere was one of the first, to adopt it on their loader arms. Now we can all swap “toys” regardless of what we have and with an adaptor, use it front or back. I can put a plow on front or snow bucket and a blower on the back of a tractor.
Trucks are so limited for snow removal…except for heat !

A Ranger pickup will plow snow just fine. I use to plow my driveway and my shop with a 94 Ranger. We are talking northern Michigan. I had it 3 years and the clutch was sill fine. I had a 6 Ft plow on it. I did have the front springs replaced with heavy duty springs. Good tires and low range when needed. Also a ATV with a plow will push a lot of snow too. Its done all the time a around here.

Sure, as long as it was only two lots per storm, on level ground and only expected to last three years. It is entirely possible. Same with ATVs.

Trucks are so limited for snow removal…except for heat !

Let’s get serious. You can buy a snow blower for your truck, they’ve been around a long time. V plows, wings, back blades etc, there are many options for snow removal with a pick-up truck.

Many people would make the same comment you did about a bobcat. It can’t transport itself long distances from site to site. Nobody would choose a bobcat for typical residential driveway snow removal. They both have their best usage profiles and to say flat out that one is inferior to the other is ignorant IMO.

I personally would never choose a manual transmission for plowing but there are plenty of people using them. Caddyman put it best.

From some of the other comments:
Only a fool would wait until the end of a 2’ nor-easter to start plowing. Most contracts have triggers and they are set low enough to allow the contractor to plow with their equipment whether it is a pick up or a bucket and loader. As an example, residential plower might plow 4x in a 2ft heavy, wet snowstorm. When the snow is deeper or heavier than can be handled in a single pass, you take multiple passes. The blade does not have to be on the ground to plow snow. This is where tire selection makes a huge difference.

The OP, if they ever come by here again, should go to a site specifically dedicated to snowplowing. You’ll get good advice on how to make the most of your particular situation.

One storm a couple of years ago…we had a little over 2’ of snow…The road I live on has only 10 houses on it…so the city plow usually doesn’t plow our street until the storm is over. So that storm when the plow finally came by…we ended up having about 6’ of hard packed snow at the end of my driveway. I’d LOVE to see a the Ford Range go through that. Took me almost 30 minutes with my 24" 8ph Ariens.

I think everyone's answered it pretty well.  Can it do it?  Yeah.  But you'll wear out your truck.  People around here who do plowing to make extra money either

1) Buy a beater truck cheap, use it for a year or two, and get rid of it when something serious wears out.

2) Use their own truck, and then get quite sad when in a few years their brand new truck is already a beater.  (Then, either sell it to the people above, or run it one or two more years.)

And 14" is a snow record here, with most snowfalls being more like 6".

Twin Turbo…Let’s get serious…a little more reading comprehension is necessary. We are talking about snow removal and not traveling across town. Unless you too have experience in operating purpose built equipment that included earth moving equipment, you would get that snow removal is child’s play to them. The plethora of add ons for loaders, tractors and such are much more suitable for snow removal and placement than that for private trucks.

A common pick up truck’s primary function is not for snow plowing, it’s an after thought for convenience and expense as generally more people have a truck in their drive then a loader. It’s not practical to move the loader to every drive…but, a truck’s limited life expectancy in this role is proof… Loader’s and tractor’s primary function is moving and placement of material while trucks are limited by power and weight. They pushers. Even a small diesel tractor with a loader and blower attachment can move and place snow more effectively for that one defined purpose.

Citizens in upstate New York with it’s heavy snow accumulation over time, survive more cost effectively for winter driveway maintenance due to the humble private snow blower.

We do plow our road most of the time with our private 3/4 ton diesel plow trucks with v plows. But when the snow gets real serious, our real serious earth moving equipment comes out. The right comment you did make is about usage profile. They all have their roles working in concert. But, as far as actual snow removal, you are mistaken. With the right equipment, you can wait till the end of a 2foot nor-easter. Because, let’s face it by your own admission, private plow trucks are much less effective. And you are right, only a fool with a plow truck would wait.

Citizens in upstate New York with it’s heavy snow accumulation over time, survive more cost effectively for winter driveway maintenance due to the humble private snow blower.

Some towns in upstate NY on the BIG snow storms use these big 10’ Snow blowers attached to the front of a dump truck. These things are huge. They only bring them out for the BIG storms (usually over 4’).

They probably spend a lot of time trucking snow out of town too between storms. I don’t think we weaners in Maine or NH can imagine what real snow is.

The other big problem with those lake effect storms is the smell. Lake Ontario is NOT the cleanest lake around. And when the storm picks up the moisture from the lake and turns it into snow then dumps it when it hits land…Many times the pollution of the lake comes with it. It can be really disgusting sometimes.

"Many times the pollution of the lake comes with it. It can be really disgusting sometimes. “
I never realized that. It is common for kids to"eat” snow. It must be a big concern for parents.

It’s a huge concern…Even when I was growing up some 50+ years ago.

Yep, we used to think pollutants didn’t stay with water when water evaporates, but acid rain taught us we were wrong.

Twin Turbo…Let’s get serious…a little more reading comprehension is necessary. We are talking about snow removal and not traveling across town.

Speaking of reading comprehension, you’ve gotten so wrapped up in your own diatribe, you’ve forgotten the original question that was about RESIDENTIAL PLOWING which involves traveling from house to house! Nobody does that with bobcats or any other heavy equipment.

I swear, the regulars on here get so wrapped up in their own issues, they can’t seem to follow a simple thread. What got me going was after you had your chance to air your opinion, someone else posts a contradictory one so you felt compelled to slam him based on your biased views.

Twin…nice, another diatribe on the regulars. Simply put, there is a lot of equipment out there that does a much better job of snow removal then a pick up regardless of attachments you can come up with. It’s just more convienient driving one from one residence to another.

And using comments like “only a fool” and “let’s get serious” in your diatribe will provoke a response in kind.