Can one manually shift as efficiently as a modern automatic transmission?

Manual ? Subaru offers manual transmissions in the Impreza, Legacy, Forester and Outback. All can be equipped quite well with the basic bells and whistles. (the WRX is the sports model)

I had a stick shift car, and I live in LA . . . you get used to it

@Dagosa
I agree with constantly shifting to keep the engine in the most efficient speed for any driving condition. I also agree that a typical manual driver doesn’t always choose the most efficient gear. But i just don’t understand why we aren’t driving cars with 8 speed automated manuals, which requires no power to stay in any gear and a fraction of a horsepower to change gears. The technology is here but we aren’t getting it

I am having trouble with the essence of the question. Sure it is a long thread, typically manual gets better mileage, what else is there to consider?

@BD,taste and personal preference-Kevin

Must admit that automatic is better when having to use a free hand to call police departments to clear the emergencyehicle through their jurisdictions.
But I’d rather save fuel and pollution with a manual. I can see what is coming and adjust for it where an automaic cannot.

What is “automated manuals”? No clutch pedal?

@Barkydog,

Manual transmissions used to get better fuel economy, but that isn’t necessarily true anymore, depending on the vehicle being discussed and the transmission options. CVT transmissions are automatic, and they get far better fuel economy than any other option. Unfortunately, they can’t be repaired, only replaced, and that is something important to consider.

…and I think there is a lot more to consider, like cost of maintenance, cost of repair, personal preference, terrain (I wouldn’t want a manual if I lived in San Francisco), and traffic (I’d probably prefer an automatic if I frequently drove in stop-and-go traffic), and repair history (like with the 6th generation Honda Civic, which had a crappy automatic transmission, but also had a good manual transmission).

Seriously, if all you cared about was getting better fuel economy, the CVT would win out over a manual transmission every time.

"But I’d rather save fuel and pollution with a manual. "
Maybe a little gas, maybe not. But as far as pollution, letting the car’s computer control the shift probably results in less pollution (not that it’s much different either way).

As for an ‘automated manual’, that’s now referring (typically) to a DCT, or ‘dual clutch transmission’ which is basically a manual transmission with dual clutches, the whole thing under computer control.

I call it another type of automatic transmission.

My wife will testify that if you break a foot, it is easier to drive with an automatic transmission. When she had a broken foot, she couldn’t get the clutch pedal depressed using just one crutch, so she had to resort to using both crutches. This is called “double crutching”.

My wife, from China, does not know how to “double crutch”.

@RG, even if I was a racist, I’d find that joke lame.

…and it is in bad taste.

She thinks it’s funny. But she calls me “Lobter”.
It’s the "R"s which come out as “L’s”.

The fact that she appears to think it’s funny doesn’t mean it’s in good taste. Being a certain ethnicity doesn’t preclude the possibility of racism against one’s own kind.

She says (not “appears to think”) it is funny. (She knows that I value her thoughts and opinions and her speaking her mind.)
She understands why it is funny.
She calls me “lound eyes”. We think that is also funny.
She also laughs at my difficulties with speaking Mandarin.

In this thread Robert says he has a Mexican girlfriend.
Interesting.

In this thread Robert says he has a Mexican girlfriend.
Before I was married. She also had a sense of humor. Told me about Mexican "automobile insurance" and called me "Gringo Gift".