Can a very obese person damage a car?

"I want to live as long as possible, because there are a lot of people in this world I want to irritate before my life is over. "
You’re doing a poor job of it. :wink: You’re too nice a guy.
I weighed 200 lb playing Football in college and after, my wife and I wanted to loose a little and stay healthy as we aged. After grad, my wife and I became vegetarians. I loved eggs and cheese so that changed and we became lacto/ovo vegetarians. Now I’m a lacto/ovo/hot dog vegetarian…guess you can say we no longer qualify. We found the best way to control your weight is to throw the scales away. Gaining and loosing weight in water content throws you off when you focus on weight and muscle mass weighs more and is good weight gain…Just develop an attitude about always having your cloths fit and be too cheap to buy new ones.

lol, the one meat you choose is a hot dog? dagosa…

There is probably no meat in hot dog.
Forget the weight. Do a body fat percentage calculation and see how you fare.

@‌galant

You guys are talking about nitrate infiltrated ugly red snappers. They do make nitrate free all beef hot dogs guys. ( with a minimal amount of entrails)

I could see the seat being damaged but not problems with anything else. If the 400 pound person was replaced with a pair of 200 pounders anything other than seat damage would be a moot point.

t-bones are usually mentioned here in a bad way but if you re eating cow anyway…

Realistically, 200 lb passengers and drivers are a better mix for a car to handle. I suspect the safety test dummy’s are not configured for passengers weighing that much. Would a seat belt for that heavy a person do it’s job, even if it does fit ? Would the other passengers be more at risk in any kind of accident ? I have never ridden with a person that heavy in my car with me driving. But. I can tell you, the older the car, the smaller the car and the less capable a car is other then something like a minivan with them sitting in the back, the less safe everyone should feel. This is not two 200 lbs. where all devices are calibrated for individual passengers within a particular weight range…cars do not have and are not public transportation seating.

Btw, I agree @wesw as my neighbor on one side owns a grocery store and sells “naturally fed” meats . My other neighbor is a fitness nut and a medical doctor. We loaded his truck with my tractor yesterday morning with several 55 gallon drums of bear bait for their annual hunting trip. Both want to eat healthy. There are ways and still remain being a carnivore. Like junk foods, quantity is an issue but a big problem is the food additives.

@galant‌
I have done body fat measure tests (all are valuable) over the years up the ying yang including being dunked in a tank…no fun. Still, as a general rule for a normal, active person, my doctors, my daughter ( PT)and my neighbor the fitness nut, say that regular awareness of how you cloths fit is a much better way to monitor your weight then weighing yourself daily. Just don’t rely on cotton clothing when it shrinks !

up the ying yang… haven t heard that since my dad died :slight_smile: " easy greasy" " “fair to middlin” and a few more colorful ones also come to mind

All disguised ways of cursing…

Forget the weight. Do a body fat percentage calculation and see how you fare.

A friend of mine and I went to Army induction on the same day. He was considered overweight by the weight charts. He was 6’2 and weighed 230. According to the Army he was suppose to be no more then 200. He had a 31" waste and 50" chest…and well below 10% body-fat.

@MikeInNH: “A friend of mine and I went to Army induction on the same day. He was considered overweight by the weight charts. He was 6’2 and weighed 230. According to the Army he was suppose to be no more then 200. He had a 31” waste and 50" chest…and well below 10% body-fat."

It sounds like he was built to be a Marine anyway.

1 Like

He was a wrestler. Extremely strong…and in very very good shape.

Me- on the other hand…I ran track…and was very skinny. Only weighed 160 @ 6’3". I was within Army specs…but at the low end for my height. By the time I got out of the army 3 years later…I was up to 210.

Some mammals are designed to be herbivores.
Some mammals are designed to EAT herbivores.
NO mammal was designed to eat corn dogs with huge baked potatoes smothered in melted butter followed by hot fudge sundaes for desert.

Some mammals are designed to be highly energetic.
Some mammals, like cats, cows, hippos, and buffalo, are designed to spend a lot of time relaxing.
NO mammal was designed to spend its time witting in a lounge chair drinking beer and watching TV.

Good health ain’t rocket science. It’s common sense. I’d bet lunch (yum, lunch!) that you cannot find one single person who doesn’t know the basics of good health. Some do what they should. The rest of us… well, the question in the original post tells everything.

I won’t get into a health care debate too much except to say that I detest exercise and don’t jog.
I’m almost 6 feet all and about 200 pounds; where I’ve been for decade after decade with no fat.

I drink beer, some wine, and live on a predominantly fried foods, sugar, and fats diet all compressed to the density of a black hole. My cholesterol is fine but the blood sugar may spike to 160 if I eat half a dozen doughnuts and wash it down with a bag of candy.
If there’s one knock it’s that the potassium is a bit low sometimes so the doc said to eat a banana now and then. Once or twice a year I give in… :slight_smile:

Some people are born with ability to not gain weight…I’m NOT one of them.

I exercise daily and try to maintain a healthy eating habits…just to stay the same. NEVER EVER smoked…and never really been much of a drinker. Couple beers a week at most.

Quality of life is important to me.

Hello - looks like many of you, ahem, weighed in on the OP’s question. (How curious, to register, ask and leave!) Seems like it’s starting to wander for good into non-car stuff. I’ll leave it open in case anybody’s got something to add. In the meantime, your friendly web lackey does encourage you all to take care of yourselves, since she’d like to see you all posting here for a long time to come. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The human animal is a scavenger and actually does quite well with a variety of foods. The more varied the better. It’s the chemical additives and the "food engineers " who do insane things to make money for the companies they work for to create foods with little nutrition that the people who eat them can’t live without. These high calorie nutrition limited foods keep people who eat them in a constant state of hunger.

It’s not individuals who have no will power that makes them obese, it’s a combination of factors from the expense of good nutrition and additive free foods to the profit at all costs that make healthy foods a non priority. Many obese people got that way because they starve themselves of nutrients by eating “convenience” foods. If some how healthy foods were more convenient and available and cheaper while foods that literally kill were more expensive and harder to get, obesity as epidemic which it is now, would be much less of a problem.

If we actually campaigned for the right of cigarette companies to use arsenic in their products and did nothing about it for years because of the number of politicians in their pocket, what makes you think we will do anything like control HFCs in foods so fast food companies can make a buck at the expense of your health.

As we get fatter and fatter while the biggest healthcare expense is diabetes control and treatment, directly related to obesity, we sit and politicize the plight of the obese while obliging all of us to continue that way by making cars bigger and bigger to carry around our fat asteroids. To call most of these fast foods, food, is an affront to the English language.

many people have ancestry that adapted to feast and famine conditions, and their bodies store fat during the feast times, so that they can survive the famines. no more famine so…they get fat. genetics.

I bought a 1961 Corvair in 1967 and the right front seat sagged. We also figured that the owner had a wife who must have been rather heavy.
I had a colleague that tipped the scales at 450 pounds. He drove big Mercury cars and would have the seat track moved back so he would fit behind the wheel. I gave him a ride once in my 1971 Maverick and he had an awful time getting into the passenger’s seat.

If it were that simple, people would eat the calories they needed and no more. If you are talking about evolution, an obese animal is one that becomes easy prey and less active people who eat healthy foods have fewer weight and health problems then those in active who eat nutrient deprived foods. It’s the lack of nutrients in the foods they eat that keep people perpetually hungry…not preparation for the next famine. Trying to decide what foods are healthy without federally mandated labeling, which the food industry is trying to curtail, makes eating healthy literally…ROCKET SCIENCE.