Can a new spark plug be bad right out of the box?

It was 40 years ago when I had the same experience with Champion plugs which were recommended for GM vehicles. My cure was also switching to ACs for all vehicles.

What vehicle was this? 40 years ago AC/Delco was owned by GM. Every GM vehicle I owned back then all had AC/Delco plugs and that was the plug recommended by GM. I can’t imagine GM recommending any other plug besides the one they made.

It was actually 46 years ago in 1971 when I was working at a Chevron station. My current faulty memory probably switched the plug brand names therefore the recommendation. Thanks.

I recently purchased a new set of plugs and one was bad out of the box. I didn’t notice until it as installed and I had a bad miss. It was on a 4 cylinder motorcycle and I was able to identify which plug it was by the exhaust pipe that was cold. Pulled the plug and tested the spark and nothing. I then tested a old plug on the wire and it sparked just fine.

If you had a misfire on cyl 2 code @october312006 , and you replaced the number 2 spark plug, and the misfire code on number 2 remained, my guess the plug wasn’t the cause of a misfire. Not that you got a bad replacement plug. Other problems that would likely cause misfires on a single cylinder are

• distributor/distributor cap problems
  • ignition wire problems
  • coil problems
  • compression problems
  • fuel injector problems
  • valve problems

Why reply when you didn’t read the whole​post.

Why did you revive an old thread?

Great news, the new spark plug was bad out of the box. I replaced it with another new spark plug and the misfire is gone now! What a relief!

What is wrong with reviving an old thread?

Here’s what invariably happens . . .

Somebody will reply to the original poster . . . not you, in other words

And that guy might have a completely different car, with a different set of problems

In other words, somebody might give advice which is not helpful to you, but to the guy from 5 years ago, who had a different problem

Why are you taking the time to question me? Are you a mediator? I
definitely don’t agree with you BTW.

I’m not taking the time to question you

I’m giving you some advice

You’re the one who asked for it

I quote you . . .

I’m being polite and respectful, I might point out