Can a civic pull a small trailer?

The version they sell in Europe isn’t the same car.

“The version they sell in Europe isn’t the same car.”

Honda Civic; European v US; Same platform, same mechanics (gas) same transmission, similar weight etc. different styling cues. Differences to drive side, safety and emission regs.
The biggest difference appears to be the warranty; 3 years vs 5 years drive train.
US; no towing
European; 1200 kg (brakes) with a manual transmission

I think as long as you are prudent it will be ok. Don’t go too fast, and leave plenty of following distance. My civic was bought use with a hitch. I never got around to using it though.

Just make sure you don’t do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9GW21RCARE

To the OP: I have a lightweight folding trailer that I bought in the early 1990s and I still use it. It was purchased in a box as a kit; had 8" wheels.

I used the trailer for hauling lumber to a building site about 100, mostly freeway miles on relatively flat terrain from my house at typical speed of 60 mph with occasional excursions to 70 mph. I made many trips for a total of an estimated several thousand miles with no problems. The trailer, loaded capacity of approx 750 lbs, was loaded to an estimated four to five hundred pounds for each trip plus about 200 lbs for the trailer. My car was a manual transmission Chevrolet Cavalier. I changed the clutch plate at 140,000 miles as a precaution but it appeared to have plenty of material remaining.

Later I occasionally used a VW diesel to haul more construction loads and also unneeded dirt away. On at least 2 occasions I pulled a 2000 lb (two thousand) weighed load of gravel for several miles using the VW. In spite of what some think about high torque diesels, an older type VW diesel engine has low torque.

The problem with heavier loads is not getting the rig going even with 52 hp. The problems are stopping and emergency turning. Trailer brakes may be a good option but my trailer did not have them.

Pulling a 350 lbs including the trailer and the load with a manual transmission Civic for occasional use for moderate distances will make no problem in my opinion and experience. I can’t speak for their automatic transmission.

Small cars pulling trailers in the US are tempting fodder for trial lawyers so car mfrs. are cautious with recommendations. There is no doubt that a car with a trailer has a greater potential for being involved in an accident and a trailer is an easy mark.

In the 1970s for our vacation we pulled a 400 lb folding camper trailer from the midwest to New England and back using a 1900 cc German Opel with a manual transmission. We went up and down hills encountered with no problem. We also used this rig for several camping trips in and near our home state.

I can tell you when a cop on traffic control, I was never instructed to stop and check the tow weight of any car with a trailer. As a matter of fact, other than registration,safety equipment securing load problems, it was judgment call. And, a fwd minivan towing it’s rated 3500 lbs and a bunch of kids in the back would would get most police’s attention more than a Civic towing a sunfish.

In answer to your question: Yes, a Honda Civic can be used with a trailer. A friend of mine asked me to be a third driver on a mission to get a dirt bike in California. He lives in Kansas City, Mo. He has a 2004 Honda Civic and was pulling a 5x8 trailer with about two hundred pounds of gear inside before the bike, with the bike on the return trip it was four hundred fifty pounds, making a top weight of around thirteen hundred pounds. On the way there we ascended to sixty-five thousand feet, and had no problems. The way back we traveled through the Grand Canyon and Colorado, reaching heights of 10,857 feet on Wolf Creek Pass. The plucky little Civic lasted all thirty-six thousand miles, and the thirteen hour driving days didn’t seem to bother it at all. Up the mountain we had to leave it in third gear, and with our driver’s foot on the floor I’ll be damned if we didn’t make it up that rather steep hill. The Honda just kept going, it didn’t over heat or have any problems (besides us running it out of gas), and while it wouldn’t be our first choice in vehicles if we had to do it again, the memories had are well worth it. I may not suggest the Honda Civic for hauling, but I just can’t say no.

Up the mountain we had to leave it in third gear, and with our driver’s foot on the floor…

Holy car abuse Batman!!!

I must respectfully disagree. In my humble opinion, any advice that includes driving a car in third gear at full-throttle is bad advice.

I had a Honda CRX-HF. I had a hitch installed so I could tow a small UHaul sport trailer. I drove from Norfolk, Va to Tampa, Fl without any problems.