Buying tools at Sears

It’s been about 10 years and I can’t find the exact document, but GM issued a service bulletin to their dealers and service centers warning them not to use Harbor Freight fuses and to deny any warranty claims on any electrical system in which these fuses may have been used by a customer or independent shop. There were numerous electrical meltdowns caused by fuses that did not blow at the rated amperage, some did not blow when wired directly to a 12V battery.

http://images.harborfreight.com/cpi/recalls/fuse_sets.html

I know it’s been a long time but it’s hard to forget things like that and doubt I’ll ever trust anything from HF as much as a name brand part or tool.

And that is the beginning of the end. It’s hard to tell which came first, the chicken or the egg, as the place is circling the drain, but that’s how it starts.

“Our customers won’t pay premium prices, so we have to lower the quality to charge a lower price. But now that we’re not making any money, we can’t offer a quality product.”

I have plenty of things from Harbor Freight. Some are good and others not so much. Anything I have gotten recently has been good. I have their 18V NiCd drill set. They had two versions with the same basic specs. One was $20 and all plastic. It felt cheap. The other was $40 and seemed well made. It isn’t the 24 lithium that some of my buddies have in more name brands but it also cost a fraction of the price. It is fine for me and I have dropped it from ladders onto a hard concrete floor many times and it holds up. I doubt the $20 version would have held up as it was so cheap and light. I got Chicago Electric or whatever and the other one was Drill Master or something. Now they have a couple other better models in lithium as well. One is red and one is blue but I forgot the house names they have. The blue one seems to be the better version from what I can tell.

I bought one of their Earthquake impact wrenches and have been very happy with it. I had a bunch of scrap mowers and such I was dreading tearing down to haul in as junk but this thing made quick work of them and the battery has still not needed a charge.

I think a lot of buying from HF is that you have to pick and choose. Some things from there are best avoided. Others are fine if you know the limitations or know to buy the upgraded model. I wasn’t knocking them and buy plenty of things from there myself. There will definitely be no contest with that crappy Sears store once this opens in a few weeks. Sears may be better quality but the service and price are not even close. I know I paid way too much for that set but it was convenient and I was sick of looking.

The Sears Hometown stores I believe are privately owned franchises. They just deal in Sears stuff but are not Sears stores like the old days. I feel sorry for these folks that have put their money into these stores and not sure how that’s going to turn out for them.

I have been the first one to Diss Harbor Freight, but I have to say I have bought some acceptable stuff from them. I bought a hyd press for $100 that I have always wanted but never wanted to spend the money on a good one. I’ve only used it a few times but seems fine. Also bought a welding cart, castors, etc. and a $15 HVLP sprayer that worked fine. But I still say don’t expect a lot, especially from the tools, but yeah depends how much you need it. I did get a whole set of shiny SAE and Metric wrenches to put in the car for under $20. Used only once but at least fit the nut.

That’s correct. My aunt owns one in upstate PA and told me that business has been going extremely well for them (also a Walmart, Lowes, Tractor Supply Co, family owned auto parts store that has tools in the town and surrounding area too), but the old Sears department store that was up there closed years ago.

Sears made quite a few errors in my opinion:

1. Their auto service centers developed a bad reputation. The state attorneys general in two states won a decision against Sears for shady practices. Sears had a good reputation with Diehard batteries and Allstate tires.
  2. Sears appliance service, at least in my location, left a lot to be desired. About 50% of the washing machines sold were Sears Kenmore. I would buy an appliance from Sears if I knew the service would be good. This would have given Sears a big edge over big box stores that contract out service.
  3. Sears didn’t make parts readily available for the products it sold. I remember a sign in a busy independent lawn mower repair shop. A big sign was posted which read “We do not repair Sears equipment”. When I asked the proprietor about the sign, he told me that Sears made it difficult for independents to get replacement parts.
  4. Sears began selling other brands of appliances besides its Kenmore brand, and different brands of radio and television sets besides its Silvertone name. Sears called this "Brand Central’. To me, it would have made more sense to stay with its own house brand.
  5. Sears closed its catalog sales. The internet was already going when Sears dropped catalog sales. It would have made more sense to have kept the mail order going while internet sales were being phased in.
  6. Sears dropped its Harmony House paint. I had really good luck with this paint.
  7. Sears had a great reputation for hardware and particularly Craftsman tools. Sears could have done a lot more to advertise this product.
    There are probably more places where Sears should have been on its toes.
    I.think had Sears followed why it was successful in the past and built its reputation, Sears would be a force to be reckoned with in today’s market.
3 Likes

Yeah I guess #3 was an irritation for me-getting parts. We had washer and dryer, dishwasher, freezer, etc. This was before the internet. When I needed a part, there was only one place in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area I could get it, then go there on lunch break and take a number waiting. I’m sure it was same parts as Whirlpool but you had to have the cross reference.

We just buy all our appliances now from a local store and take their recommendations.

20+ years ago if I needed a replacement part for a Sears product (like a gasoline lawnmower) I’d just go to the Sears store with the model number info and the owner’s manual (which had a parts break-down diagram and parts list). I might have to wait 10 or 15 minutes, but eventually the staff in the parts department would figure out what part I needed, order it, taking my telephone number to call me when it arrived. That method usually got me the part in 3-10 days. I’d just pick it up at the store when they called.

It’s true that sometimes on older products the part I needed was no longer available. The parts department staff would look it up and tell me ‘sorry, no longer available’. I was ok w/ that, repair parts aren’t stocked indefinitely At least I had the staff’s assistance to find that out.

At some point Sears changed that procedure, and ordering a replacement part had to be done via the Sears web site. Nobody at the store was available to help. And it couldn’t be picked up at the store, had to be mailed to your address with a substantial shipping fee. I tried that method once or twice, but was never successful at getting the part. That’s the point I guess that I gave up on Sears.

It is too bad that the once great Sears has been reduced to this. If the service was actually better at Sears and you could get what you wanted, I would be willing to pay a premium. Dealing with the race to the bottom is one reason I have pretty much given up on Wal-Mart as well. The prices are cheap but the product quality and service is terribly as well.

Harbor Freight is pretty much what you expect for the price. If given the choice between buying tools as Sears or HF, I would pick HF. Craftsman is probably better quality but it is now made in China just like the rest. It is certainly better than the last Stanley set I bought at Wal-Mart. I shattered several sockets by giving them some torque. The metal was just weak and brittle. Harbor Freight is good for the “weekend warrior” tool buyer.

I wouldn’t suggest it for someone who makes a living with that particular tool. That is what Snap On and Dewalt is for. Even Dewalt has crap lines that aren’t very good though. You have to be careful.

I used to buy Sears tools all the time. I took a broken ratchet in for exchange and was handed a small plastic bag with a few ratchet repair parts. I threw the ratchet away along with the unopened plastic bag. I never bought another Sears tool. I also cut up my Sears card as soon as I got home. I read the writing on the wall and did not like the message.

Yup!
I assume that you are referring to their practice of cleaning-up old batteries, and selling them as new ones. Once that type of fraud became known to the general public, their reputation went into the crapper immediately.

None of the professional tool companies will replace an entire ratchet because of a stripped tooth either. If I break a tip on a screwdriver they put a new shaft in my handle, not replace the whole screwdriver. I don’t have a problem with that.

They were going to give me a refurb ratchet at the local Sears Hometown store as well but didn’t have one so they just opened a new one and swapped them. I was happy with that but don’t expect me to have to undo the snap ring and do that work myself.

It is too bad they went down the tubes. I really think Wal-Mart may not be that far behind. I think WM has their act together and could turn around if they realize it is killing them but right now they are not doing anything that makes me want to go there.

I never minded replacing the gear in the ratchet, I was just glad they kept giving me new ones. I had a 13/16 deep socket that I used to use for removing wheels before I had impact tools. The rusted lug nuts in our area are tough to remove and I used a 4’ pipe over the ratchet. The 13 /16 socket that wore out was a 12 point design and I suggested to the clerk that he give me a 6 point instead . He told me they didn’t do that. I said ok, they work good for as little while, I will be back in a month or two. He gave me the six point.

Sounds like the HF Pittsburg wrench set I have had for at least 12 years. I have used them often. I consider their quality better than almost any other brands.

The only think that makes me want to go there is they are open 24 hours when others are closed. Home Depot tried it for a little while years ago but gave it up. It was kinda nice if you needed something late at night. So I just stock a lot of stuff instead. If it can’t be duct taped or welded, guess it’ll have to wait till Monday.

The sears in our town closed, now a fitness place, kmart still open, bought a kenmore microwave to fit slim under counter, at kmart, but it was not sold at sears. Sad days.

What a cruel joke

It should be the other way around

K-mart should be closed, while Sears is open

I don’t think the employees at our local K Mart have the energy to close a store. They certainly don’t have the energy to clean it, But maybe they just don’t have any cleaning supplies, it doesn’t look like anything has been restocked in years.

1 Like

That’s how it is at the K-mart near me

Empty shelves and stuff strewn on the floor

I wonder what would happen if somebody tripped over that stuff and hurt themselves . . . it’s probably already happened

At least the Sears was tidier and safer