Buying Gas on a Cold Day

quote:

I hope Con Dennis Kucinich makes the Big Oil companies and gov spend BILLIONS adding and monitoring the meters needed to adjust for Temp vs Volume of gas.CAUSE you know who’s gonna PAY for it.THE GAS CUSTOMER!!! US!!! It won’t effect the LOONIE paid agitators supposedly looking out for the little guy!!Because they make to much money from saving us poor little people.See how much I’ve done for you.Your getting your full gallon of gas in all temps.Sorry about the extra $1.00 you have to pay per gallon to cover the cost of all the equipment now mandated by gov for protecting the consumer!!
Let’s change your above statement to (circa 1965):
I hope the government makes the American automobile companies spend BILLIONS adding seat belts to cars. CAUSE you know who’s gonna PAY for it. THE AUTO CUSTOMER!!! US!!! It won’t effect the LOONIE paid agitators supposedly looking out for the little guy!! Because they make too much money from saving us poor little people. See how much I’ve done for you. You’re now getting full crash protection. Sorry about the extra $100 you have to pay per car to cover the cost of all the equipment now mandated by gov for protecting the consumer!!
You must have loved the 1950s. Were you crushed when US car makers switched to metric and all the costs involved in buying new Snap-On wrenches? Bet you were. You’re that kind of guy.

I wouldn’t know.My last US car was a '76 Chevy.

You forgot to mention the money the trial lawyers will sponge from the system before this tempest in a teapot is over. Motorists in climates where the 60 degree annual average temperature will help to pay for them and for temperature compensating equipment for little benefit.

You belittle anyone who disagrees with your position on anything- you’re that kind of guy.

I buy gas all year long. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think a lot of people do. The average temperature probably works out to around 55 degrees in this area. So the cost of fuel tends to average out like a lot of things in life. BTW- What’s the average temperature where you live?

My highest consumption is during the spring and fall, when the temperatures are near their average. Coincidentally, that is when the gas pumps read their most accurate.

I agree with the prior poster indicating that it is the consumer that bears the burden of this equipment you would like to see mandated. As a consumer, I don’t see the return on my investment.

Raymond,So you equate saving lives with seat belts to saving money?You probable voted for Bush!?!?

Raymond,So you equate saving lives with seat belts to saving money?You probably voted for Bush!?!?Sorry for the TYPO!!

I always wondered why my gas mileage was less in the winter, now I know why !! The only thing I was expecting was suffering from getting a cold butt when I bought gas on a cold day.

I’m shocked Al Bore and Jive Earth didn’t have a song about it?

The gas is stored under ground in big tanks.The temperature of the gas in those tanks is constant if it is 100 degrees outside or 50 below because it is stored far enough under ground not to be affected by the outside temperature.

The stations at which I shop don’t seem to have overhead piping. If the gas is always underground, it should be at the same temperature all the time - about 56F (13.3C). I’ll look closer in the future, but it seems unsafe to use a maze of overhead pipes compared to pumping from the underground tank directly to the pump.

One solution woudl be buy your gas in the morning then the gas in the pumps has cooled down, unless you live in Phoenix or some such location.
I’d not worry about it. There is a much better chance of being goosed by a malfunctioning pump meter or dishonest trader than the few % due to temperature.

Now here is an interesting statistic. I keep a log of hte vehicle receipts and gallons pumped per the receipts, and compared that to the calculated gallonage for the same fill, then compared the error in the totals.
Example, $22 @ 3.159/gal = 6.964229(calculated) but 6.963 per the receipt.
eg. for the last 60K mls of records, I pumped 2971.5 gals per the totaled receipts, but the calculated gals total 3000.7, some 29 gal less. Where is the error?. The pump meter, the rounding or the actual volume pumped.

I think that gasoline buried several feet in the ground will assume the ground temperature shortly after it is delivered to the station. Any loss from heat expansion of the gasoline would be small.