Buying advice: '89 Camry with 131K for $1600. Is it a good deal?

The '69 Camaros are probably the most desireable of them all. An RS/SS needing work will easily bring 30 grand and a clean (not meaning a Barrett Jackson trailer queen/museum piece) will bring 40 and up.
When they’re badged as a Yenko or COPO car they’re always well into the 6 figures.

I’m still inclined to think the Camry may have been a better deal but that opinion is based only on what little info is known.

The Camry is probably worth $900-$1,000 tops. I wouldn’t buy it for more than that unless it’s especially pristine with all maintenance records, and you really ‘click’ with this car.

I’m in total agreement about a 1000 dollar figure tops as to any real value. The 1500 figure I threw out there is simply my feeling of what a clean, good running car with no major apparent problems would be worth if one needs a car (as in now) and is faced with the alternatives out there; many of which may be considering having a clandestine affair with a car crusher.
= :slight_smile:

Would I want to give 1500 for an '89 Camry? Not really but I would if the circumstances led me in that direction and if all hard nosed negotiation to lower the price failed.
I sincerely hope the Honda works out but there’s some things that intuition lead me to believe this could be problematic.

“When they’re badged as a Yenko or COPO car they’re always well into the 6 figures.”

That’s what I was thinking when I said over $220,000. I didn’t look for a reference, but I believe that a couple of Yenko Camaros sold for much more than that at a Mecum auction recently.

I just looke it up. A Nickey Stage III 427 Camaro went for $400,000, a 1969 ZL-1 Camaro went for $305,000, and a Yenko went for $345,000.