Buying a Pontiac

Appreciate your past experience with Oldmobiles. HOWEVER, GM has never gone ito receivership before. The reorganization will most likely be done under Chapter 11. which relieves GM of all past legal obligations.

Last year a friend of mine wanted to buy an Olds Olero (low mileage, used) for his wife. I advised against it since a) Olds is no longer produced, and b) GM was heading down the slippery slope, and c) this was a very low volume model, making body parts availability even from a wrecking yard a real problem. Ask any Daewoo owner!.

Agree that many mechanical components of Pontiacs are common with other GM cars, but not critical items such as grills and trim.

I would make an exception with the Vibe, since it is really a Matrix, is selling well and parts avilability need not be a big issue.

During the reorganization, parts may be hard to find. After that, and even during the summer (reorganization), it is in GM’s best interest to support their customers, even those that are out of warranty. The fastest way to end GM forever would be to walk away from the millions of older cars still on the road. All the Pontiacs but the Solstice are siblings of a Chevrolet or Holden. Even the Solstice drive trains are used by Chevrolet. I agree that the Vibe is the lowest risk, but I don’t think that the others are high risk from a parts availability standpoint. But it’s all just guesswork at this point.

We had a post recently from someone who was looking for an Olds Sihouette grill, and could not find one.

GM, Chrysler and Ford care little about body parts for 10+ year old discontinued vehicles.