Buying a new car

Good for you. Enjoy your Camry.

I like the camry better for reliability.

Call them back and thank them for jerking you around, you ended up with a better car.

Dear all,

Since this car shopping story is still developing, I feel obliged to share my story of stupidity, negligence and gullibility, though I trust most of the readers on this forum are more seasoned than I am.

As mentioned in my last post, I purchased a 2009 Camry LE from a private owner. I paid off the $18000 in cash on Monday 012609, along with the car (two regular car, one valet key, 1 owner’s manual) I received from him the REGISTRATION CARD, BILL OF SALE and NOTICE OF TRANSFER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY form all signed. When I inquired about the TITLE, he said he doesn’t have it with him and told be just bring the BILL OF SALE and NOTICE OF TRANSFER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY form to DMV and that is sufficient to register the car under my name. Naive as I am, I believed him because the sound of TRANSFER and RELEASE OF LIABILITY. After I got home Monday night, searched on CA DMV’s website, the word TITLE infused everywhere for a rightful ownership/transfer of car purchased from a private owner. Confused, I called him, no pickup, no returned phone call, and the following day 012709, I called him about 10 times left message still no reply. Alarmed, drove to his ‘house’ where we did the transaction, he wasn’t there and I learnt from other residents (only the ‘daughter’ could speak some English) in the household that he’s only renting a room there. I asked for any kind of information on this guy, they said they don’t know and as long as he pays rent, they don’t ask questions. I was scared, angry, sick to my stomach, I said I would notify the police of this matter. The ‘dad’ came out and yelled “go ahead, call the police”. I actually did call the police right after but the operator told me the car hasn’t reported stolen and suggested me going to the DMV first before filing a fraud.

Later Tuesday night, the car seller called me and asked me what the problem is and I told him about my concern with the missing TITLE, again he confirmed those forms are sufficient and I said I would give it a try and contact him of any problems. However, when I got to DMV this morning, I was told without the title, I can not do anything and also there is a lienholder (Toyota Motor Credit) on the registration card which I did not notice and was not told. So I started my calling marathon trying to reach the seller, couldn’t and in the mean time went to a local Toyota dealership to learn more about the finance situation on this car. After listening to my story, a gentleman was nice enough to call and found out the seller still owe $18141 on this vehicle, couldn’t receive more help then I went to our local police station wanting to file a fraud.

The seller called me back right when I arrived at the police station and I updated him on the situation, he then notified me that he is financing the car through Toyota and once he pays off everything the title will be transferred to me. I told him at this point, since I am not the legal owner, I want to return the car and get my money back. He said he can only give me $14000 in cash today and give me the $4000 at a later time. I told him I need to consult someone (the police) and will call him back during his lunch break regarding my decision. Basically, the police said this is a civil matter which I need to straighten out with the seller since I am driving the car right now and Toyota has not repossessed the car. So, I drafted an agreement in the presence of the police stating that since the lienholder hasn’t signed the title over, this transaction was not legally complete, I will return the car, he will pay me $14000 today and the rest by xxx date. Then I called him, now he says he is going to charge me $500 to inspect the car and and for my usage of 2.5 days. I said that’s way too much and he said $400, then I checked online rental is about $200 for a week, so I said. .fine… I will pay you $200 for the 2.5 days I’ve used your car… but now he says he talked to his coworkers, and they think he should charge me more… so my options became get $14000 today and $3000 later (losing 1000, and no guarantee really to get back the 3000 either), or wait 4 to 5 weeks for him to pay off and have Toyota release the title. I asked for a face to face meeting and have a written promise that he will indeed transfer the title to me, he refused and said just wait. This is where we left off, at option 2, waiting 4-5 weeks. But why would it take so long??? He already got the $18000 from me and he just need to come up with the $414 to pay off Toyota. I’ve made appointment to seek legal consultation tomorrow and Friday, hopefully I will get more ideas.

Been dealing with this nonstop since 8am…severe headaches I am just emotionally drained. please don’t let this get any uglier…

WOW that’s a story !

The good thing is he is still is contact with you and sounds like your working this out !

The bad new’s is that the state takes forever to change the title over. Once the Lender has signed off the state does there thing and it takes a few week’s. One thing you might want to look into it paying an expediting fee through the state ? Um not sure if this is available or not.

As far as the refund goes he should comp you the full amount due to lying to you at the point of sale. You could take the money and then hope you get the $3,000 dollars back once that happens take him to small claims court for the remainder of the cash.

The other option (this is my favrite)
If your riding around on his plates and registration, you should get $1,000 dollars woth of parking and tool both violations where there only tracable to the owner of the car ! This would burn his ass and teach him a very good lesson !

Did you like your Civic ?
Can’t do much any better I feel.
Remember that if you’re incline to return to the dealer you bought from for service, their reputation and proximity may be just as important as the car you buy.
I’d consider a Focus if the Ford dealership was that much better for example.