Buying a car for cross country trip

I remember quite a few years ago, a car magazine had a cross country race, called Cannonball Baker. Those rascals were running 120 on the highway and more. I remember one of the top placers were paid to drive some guy’s precious Cadillac, with instructions to drive below the speed limit and not drive at night. They pounded that sucker like 120 across the country, and in like 2 or 3 days, they were there. Does anyone else remember that?

Some race car driver, probably not Dan Gurney, though that is how I remembered it, had a Ferrari or similar expensive car and went up to over 150 and still didn’t win.

Yes, I remember the “Cannonball Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash”! It was sponsored by Car & Driver Magazine. And, yes, the Cadillac did very well, and placed close to the winner. The Caddy’s chief merit was its very large and durable engine and comfortable ride, the co-driver could stretch out in the back seat and take a nap. It also drew far less attention than the Ferrari.

The race was later made into a movie with Burt Rynolds. The movie was a carricature of the original race.