Buy a Prius?

Gasoline has been cheaper than diesel for several years in MD. I can remember that diesel was cheaper, but not when. It has been at least 5 years, and could be many more. I agree that diesel should come down once they work off the nonrecurring costs associated with the low sulfur conversion. I don’t think the added chemicals required to produce low sulfur fuel amount to 80-cents per gallon.

OK Lets continue this conversation in the summer…when gas prices drop… and diesel is lower still.

Like I SAID…WE’ER being prepared for the higher disel prices. It’s killing truckers around here.

Bull Hockey! iIt’s a great freeway car too. I’m in northern california iwtha 2005 bought December 2004. Average freeway speeds here are 70-75mph. I’ve averaged 50 mpg over life of car. I’ve driven SF to Sacramento at 65mph averaging 62mpg. This winter I got down to 46mpg because I did a lot of cold rainy night driving.

BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE!

When I drive to LA (about 400 miles), I may cruise for a couple hours at 105-110 mph. I have new high speed Michelins. It handles better than older BMW 3 Series at that speed, but not as nice as an Acura NSX or Mercedes SL500.

I have friends with BMW 3 and 5 Series. When getting on the freeway I demonstrate to them Prius standing start acceleration. I have yet to lose to 3 Series, and the only 5 Series I’ve lost out to (up to 60mph) is a 525 M Series.

Next year, when my current warranty changes, I’m getting battery pack for all electric operation but keeping original too.

I don’t have to take my key out of my pocket to unlock or drive my Prius.

My wifes Lexus ES-350 doesn’t have a key. Just have to have to Fob in your posession when you press the button.

I doubt either one will go down in the long term, but I do expect the price of diesel to increase more slowly than gasoline over the next several years. Once gasoline gets up to a reasonable price (maybe double the current price) and settles down, diesel should settle down at a somewhat lower level. It will probably take a few years for this to all settle out, I can imagine gasoline ending up at about $6 and diesel at $5 (just my guess) in 5 years.

Due to “Supply & Demand” with more demand than supply, dealers often don’t discount them as much as with the other cars. Dealrs are having a field day (so to speak) with Prius & other hybrids. However, you won’t get the real advantages or savings unless & until you have it for at least 10 years or so. The high price of these hybrids can only be offset after driving it for about 10 years.

Once gasoline gets up to a reasonable price (maybe double the current price) and settles down, diesel should settle down at a somewhat lower level. It will probably take a few years for this to all settle out,

Maybe…but it hasn’t taken anywhere near that long in the past. In the past 20 years every time gas prices have settled down it took just a few months for Diesel to come down to prices BELOW regular.

However, you won’t get the real advantages or savings unless & until you have it for at least 10 years or so.

Says Who??

There are a LOT of factors to consider before you can make a gerenal statement like that. I have a neighbor who owns a Civic Hybrid…and we calculated out his break-even point to be about 3 years.

First off the hybrids come fully loaded. Most people when comparing the Hybrid to the Non Hybrid version they are comparing the base model to the Hybrid. But the Hybrid comes with a lot of features that bring the base model up a few thousand dollars.

Second, it depends on your commute and how many miles you drive a year. If you drive less then 12k miles a year then it may take 10 years to break-even. But my neighbor drives about 35k miles/year and most of it NOT highway driving…a lot of stop and go.

We calculated out the savings of buying a Camry Hybrid last year for my wife. The break-even would be about 5 years for us (based on mileage and miles per year wife drives).

1. I haven’t seen or heard about any ‘bugs’ with Prii. I have one of the first 2007 Prii to become available here. I have had absolutely zero problems.

I think there is a lot of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) being sown about the Prius. One interesting statistic I just read in Consumer Reports is that 92% of Prius owners would definitely buy again considering all factors. How many products have that high of rate of satisfaction?

1. It depends on your local dealership, but I don’t think there is a best time as they are still in high demand and with all the FUD about $4 gas it might just get worse. Of course, if the economy crashes they might not be able to sell them either. [Shrugs] You’ll need to consult a magic 8-ball for the real answer.

“In the past 20 years every time gas prices have settled down it took just a few months for Diesel to come down to prices BELOW regular.”

In New Hampshire, apparently. But not in Maryland where diesel has been higher for many years.

NH and MA and NY and ME and VT and CT…Those are the states that I know of.

Before you buy a Prius to save money, consider a compact car with a manual transmission. In an economic sense it will blow the doors off of a Prius. A Prius is for people who want to save money no matter how much it costs. Check out Prius tire wear too before you decide.

First off the hybrids come fully loaded. Most people when comparing the Hybrid to the Non Hybrid version they are comparing the base model to the Hybrid. But the Hybrid comes with a lot of features that bring the base model up a few thousand dollars.

If you want those features and would be willing to add them to the base model, then that’s a fair statement. However, if you don’t care for electric tush warmers and 18-way remote control mirrors and wouldn’t pay for them on a base model, then they’re just a waste of money for you.

I’ll agree that hybrids are at their best in high mileage stop-and-go driving. A lot of people who buy them are doing so to make a statement, and not because a rational cost analysis said it was more cost effective. I’m not sure the cost premium is yet justified (and no one has had to replace their battery packs yet), so until gas goes to $8 a gallon or the cost premium drops, I’ll probably wait.

The Prius is a good car with a lot of interior room and exceptioonal fuel mileage. That said, if you are a car enthusist, that enjoys driving, it may not be the best choice, once you get past the great fuel mileage, it is pretty boring. Don’t buy it unless you get your driving excitement from fuel mileage. If you like to drive, and want good mileage, look at some other cars, such as a Honda Fit or Mini Clubman.

However, if you don’t care for electric tush warmers and 18-way remote control mirrors and wouldn’t pay for them on a base model, then they’re just a waste of money for you.

Since the base model of cars like the Camry account for less then 10% of Camry’s total car sales…it seems MOST people don’t agree with you.

I agree hybrids are NOT for everyone. But if you fall into the catagory of the people it does then a hybrid is a very logical choice.

so until gas goes to $8 a gallon or the cost premium drops, I’ll probably wait.

Doesn’t look like you’ll be waiting long. Gas is expected to reach OVER $4 this summer. That’s 200% increase over gas prices a year ago.

my question regarding the hybrids is what is the environmental impact/cost of the batteries. the heavy metals have to be a problem.

NOOOO! Neighbor has a Highlander that is constantly in the shop because it wont run. Buy a car that you don’t have to peddle at stop signs. The Gore theory of global warming is all media hyp. Sure, the the earth has warmed…about -1% in the last million years. When liberals stop making money off of the environment, and don’t make people feel guilty simply because they live (And cows fart) then I’ll believe the sky is falling.

Sure, the the earth has warmed…about -1% in the last million years

When was the past time you took a science class…In the past 100k years we’ve had TWO Ice-Ages…The last one was 10k years ago. Temps went up a LOT since the last ice-age.

When liberals stop making money off of the environment

I hate to burst your bubble…but the conservatives who are saying that there is NO problem are promoting companies/industries that have sales of 100 times that of the companies selling environmental friendly products…maybe even 1000. It’s in THEIR best interest to say there isn’t a problem. It’s like the tobacco companies and their so-call scientists saying “Smoking isn’t bad for you”.