Buick To Shoot At Younger Drivers

You say disparaging things about the Regal, but when the same things are said about the SHO, you say it’s different. The new Regal is not a Malibu, but you act as though it is. I realize that the SHO is not the same as an SE. I thought I’d just toss it out and see if you tripped over it. Thanks for falling.

The Regal is based on the Epsilon platform, The Regal does not have a a high performance variant. The new Regal is comparable to the SE Taurus, only it’s less powerful, smaller, a little more fuel efficent, and more expensive.

You made an arbitary claim without any statements to back it up. I offered a counterpoint to your statement with fact. Please explain why the Regal would be a particuarly attractive buy to the younger set.

I don’t know if it will take many buyers away from Acura or Audi. When people think about Acura, they think about rev-happy, fun to drive Integras. For Audi, they think about German sport sedans. For Buick, they think about boring luxury sedans that grandmothers drive.

I might want one with a manual transmission. The best steering car that we have owned was a German Opel with rear drive. The car almost steered itself on the freeway. I loved that car but lost it to a little too much rust for my style after 12 years. If the Regal, front drive I assume, does as well, it will be good but few seem to have German style steering as a high priority and it seems harder to achieve with a front driver.

Pontiac’s Australian made G8 has a good amount of German steering.

Yes, BMWs are designed for thin, athletic Europeans who stay in shape, eat a healthy diet and get exercise. You may fit better in a Ford F-250. My 328i sedan fits me like a bespoke suit.

Twotone

It’s just hard to imagine any front drive car handling like a rwd. I look for rwd cars to make a comeback in the lower price lines, now that traction control can make them more manageable in slippery weather and would hope Buick would lead the way and let the lesser Chevys worry about space efficiency.

The Regal is a new car to the US. Why should it have a high performance option? GM wants to see if it can sell well, especially in a younger market. They were successful in attracting younger buyers for Cadillac; why not Buick?

It will be available as a luxury version first for around $26,000 according to an article in the Orlando Sentinel. That’s about 20% less than you estimated, and it’s likely to be one of the more expensive versions once the model line expands. It took 3 years to bring the SHO to market after the new Taurus was introduced in 2008. I have a hard time seeing how GM should be held to a different standard than Ford.

“I might want one with a manual transmission.”

Not at first. The Regal will be offered as the CXL (L is for luxury) this year, then the base CS will be offered next year. The 2011 model year should also have a CXL with a 6-speed manual and turbocharged engine putting out 220 HP. Here’s a reasonable article about it, including a test drive. The author seems to take an objective look the car.

The SHO was introduced the very same year as the current gen Taurus both are 2010 models. The fifth gen Taurus was the one based on the old Five-Hundered, which was based on the Volvo S80. There was no SHO model offered for that generation. The $26k Regal makes due with 182 HP 2.4L normally asparated 4 cylinder. The turbo model will start at about $29.5k. It produces a meager-for-the-class 220 HP, I’m not sure why they didn’t use the 260 HP turbo LNF ecotec from the Cobalt SS. Combine that with AWD and they might’ve had something that would get people who were considering cars like the 3 series BMW or C class Benz’s attention. But I don’t think they will attract many younger buyers with this car. The people who would consider an Accord or Camary likely won’t look at it as it’s not a particuarly good deal, and the people who want something more sporty won’t be intrested because it’s not particuarly sporty either.

If the Five hundred is included, production goes back to the 2005 model year. It seems to me that it is at least appropriate to include all model years of the new Taurus, and possibly the Five hundred because of the hard work Ford put into building the market for the car. It doesn’t matter as much that the new generation is 2010 and all of the “new” Taurus cars were introduced then. Ford developed the market since 2005 to the point where it made sense to introduce the SHO. Also, I don’t believe that you speak for your generation - not even close. You do not have the same taste in cars as most people. Most of the young folks at work drive much less expensive cars. They are engineers for the most part, and can afford the types of cars that interest you, but choose not to. One guy has a G35 coupe. Based on what I see, the younger people around here might be interested in a smaller car like the new Regal. If it doesn’t work in the US, it will in Europe and China. GM’s marketing folks have had a number of hits recently and they’ve bet a lot in it’s success. We’ll just have to wait and see if the Regal is a hit or a bust.

I guess I hang out with different young people. The cars that my friends drive are generally sportier models. Tran-AM WS6, Mustang GT, Audi TT quattro, 350z, Boxster, one guy has a Mazdaspeed Miata, another just bought a BMW 135i and one of them has a nice Z06 Vette. Most of them also have a secondary vehicle, usually a mid-sized SUV or full-sized pickup as well. They run the gamut from Airborne Rangers, to elementary school teachers.

Would an Insignia OPC/Regall Station wagon 2,8 V6, 325 hp, 435 nm, 0 - 60 mph in in less than 6 sec., 155 mph topspeed (governed), 4wd be sporty enough for You?.
Available in Europe since last fall.
Btw. it’s 3 inches longer than the sedan. See also: www.netcarshow.com/opel/2010-insignia_opc/

In a sedan form, I would be quite interested in it. How much does it cost in $USD roughly? If they can keep it around $35k USD (give or take a few grand) I would probably take a look at it.

That’s a nice list. I wonder if everyone is single? Earning for two or more, a house; it all adds up way fast.

I’d say only about 30% are married. It should also be pointed out that the vast majority of these cars we bought used. The one who just bought the 135i works at a BMW dealership, I’m sure she got a decent deal on it. I got to drive the 135i for a bit, fantasic car to drive, reminded of the old E46 M3 in terms of performance.

It looks a lot like my 2011 sonata. Which also only comes in a 4 cyl. A 200 HP 4 cyl.

Opel has designed many cars for GM. During the gas crunch of the '70s,Opel gave us the Chevette.They served their purpose. The majority of Americans like RWD vehicles. Detroit just wants to give us vehicles that are cheap and easy to make, not what most younger people want. When Detroit can produce a vehicle with the interior fit and finish of a European vehicle, they will be on the same playing field. Power is not an issue, since the aftermarket can take care of all that. You can’t succeed at business if you want to appeal to 20% of your market.Remember, 51% of the population are women,and they make 80% of all vehicle buying final decisions (GM sales training figures)