Broken Heater Core in 2000 Lincoln

Thank you! I got a lot done today, the heater core does need to be replaced (it was leaking air, I found a hose and taped it to one end, making sure it was sealed, blew into the tube, and plugged the other pipe out of the heater core, feeling my air, but it was weak and couldn’t hold the pressure that I put into it… Doubt it was the safest, but I think it worked). I got the seats out, center console out, dropped the steering wheel, I’m thinking about replacing the carpet because the leak caused a lot of rust to happen and the carpet is severely stained (It’s about $200 dollars, but it’s worth it in my opinion). Took the air duct out from underneath where the center console was, loosened the bolt on the floor vent duct and took it out, then had my neighbor come over and took the dash off (I disconnected all that was necessary before doing this).

Now I’m at the point where I’ve taken off three bolts from the top and one from underneath the wheel well for the heater core, but I think there’s either one or a few more left to go. It’s shaky, meaning I can move it up, but it’s hinging on whatever is left to undo.

Remove plenum chamber (7 screws), remove cover, remove seal, remove heater core, lifting it upward.

Where would that be and what does it look like?

Not sure, just going by the drawing I’m seeing here, which is ambiguous. Do you see something rectangular shaped that looks sort of alike a valve cover lid with 6 fasteners holding it down? That lid has to come off, then once the seal is removed the heater core will apparently just lift out.

Yes I do, but I’m unable to take just the heater core out right now because that whole box in which it’s contained is still inside the car. I don’t know what it’s hung up on

Did you remove all 7 fasteners? 6 of 'em are located around that rectangle lid thing , but besides those 6, there’s one more at the top, located a short distance away, sort of midway between where those two hoses emerge.

Did you reclaim the refrigerant and disconnect the A/C lines?

I have not, I’m not sure if I have to, none of the guides, or the video i found, mention disconnecting the A/C. One of the manuals said to drain the radiator below the heater core, but I couldn’t find the drain for the radiator

You would have to if the evaporator is in the HVAC housing that you are removing, I don’t know if that applies to your car.

I’ve now gotten to the heater box, there were an extra set of nuts holding it on. There was one set holding the casing for the fan (blower motor?), and then behind that there were two and one deeper inside the insulation.

After removing the heater box, there was quite a bit of coolant that was inside with the heater core. I took off the actuator, and then there were only 5 instead of 7 screws to take the cap for the heater core off. I drained the excess into a drip pan and stored it away from my animals. Then since I couldn’t get all the liquid out, I sprayed it down with water and I’m going to let it air dry over night, then take an air compressor and dry the pooled water that’s left tomorrow.

Then it’s just doing everything in reverse :slight_smile: Thank you all for the help, it would have taken me a lot longer than it did if I hadn’t run across this community.

Once back together and before adding coolant you might consider purchasing an in-line coolant restrictor.
This fits into the inlet hose for the heater core and can prolong heater core life.

Heater cores are not a rare issue with those cars; especially if the engine coolant is not changed now and then.

By now you’ve discovered that when they build cars, the first thing down the line is the heater core hanging on a wire. Then they build a car around it…