Brit seeks US car advice

Coming from Britain, OP will find ANY SNOW a lot, and needs all the low cost help he can get. But I agree that paying extra for a AWD vehicle in New Hampshire is a waste of money unless you are a ski bum who spend a great deal of time at higher altitudes.

Don’t forget to visit:

Also, these guys might have some ideas:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/production_notes/us_special.shtml

My point is that its not the quantity of snow its the quality sort of. In the South we get just as many storms as the North if not more just less accumulation. Roads are rarely impassable but every storm they are covered for a most or part of day with packed snow>slush/ice>water that normal all-seasons again cannot turn nor stop very well on. Winter tires simply excel in that aspect.

We lived in NH for several years, and for many years in that more civilized place, Massachusetts. Our Saabs with four winter studded snow tires did fine. Only if you have a steep driveway would your really need AWD.
The Saab 900 wagon would be a good car for you, and nicer car to drive year round than the Subaru (my opinion).

Do know that you must, as suggested, get accustomed to driving in snow and ice; the drive must be much much more of an anticipitory driver. No matter how much care you use, there is always a chance you’ll hit the dreaded “Black ice”, and then you hope for the best.

One last thought: when I lived overseas I really wanted to drive a car from that culture; they were all just so new and different. You may feel the same, and so a Jeep may be a good fit.

Coming from Britain, OP will find ANY SNOW a lot, and needs all the low cost help he can get.

I actually worked with a guy who came over for a contract job from India. He had never even seen snow. Very new driver (driving is too expensive in India), plus he bought his first car EVER…in November…After his second accident (both minor)…I took him to the parking lot and spent 2 hours with him teaching him the fine art of manuvering in the snow. When we started he couldn’t even make it out of the parking lot (small hill)…After 2 hours he was going up and down the hill easily in his new Taurus. And he never had another accident that year…

I have YET to see any storm here in S NH that my wifes Accord or Lexus couldn’t easily manover in. Never had a accident…and NEVER got stuck…And I’ll say it again…4 snow tires are GREAT…but NOT needed. If you feel you need them then GREAT…

Much truth here – it’s true that northern areas of the US get more snow, but the local authorities also are equipped to deal with it quickly and thoroughly. The locals are also much better at driving in winter weather.

You do run into problems in the in-between areas further south where heavy snow is less common. It takes longer for the state and county plows to handle everything, and the general winter driving skill level is pitiful. Even in Indianapolis, the first half inch snowfall is sheer chaos. In Atlanta, a light trace of snow will kill dozens and paralyze the entire city for days.

There’s a VERY narrow (arguably nonexistent) range where weather is too much for a front wheel drive car, yet you can get around OK in an AWD car.

Subarus are very nice, but not necessary. Unless you’re a forest ranger, any FWD car with decent all-season tires will work fine in NH.

That said, there sure are an awful lot of Subies in NH, so you should have no trouble finding one if that’s what you want. Some say the AWD does have its advantages in wet weather and such.

If you are going to live outside of a city, rent or buy a house on a school bus route. When I lived in NY, they got plowed first.

You, sir, are an ugly and uninformed American! Why did you trash LRs when the guy is a Brit? You would probably go ape if he took a broad swipe at the toy cars you recommend.

Besides, I see far more Subaru problems on this site than LRs. Have you ever own a LR? If not, I would suggest that you stop disparaging them, because I happen to own a very reliable 2002 Discovery II that will outperform in any toy SUV that Subaru, Honda or Toyota makes (apologies to the awesome big Toyota SUVs.) It is safe, quiet, comfortable, will handle with ease any road or non-road conditions and we love it. Keep driving the rice burners - i’ll stick with the original.

They cancel or delay it a lot in NH so no real diff on plowing order.

One thing to be aware of when you check gas mileage on your proposed buy. American gallons are only 4/5ths the size of Imperial gallons, so gas mileage figures in MPG are only 4/5ths of the same car in Britain. Of course you’re probably used to MPL by now, but do make sure you’re using the correct conversion if you are trying to compare with Brit vehicles.
And (even in New Hampshire) make sure the car you choose has Air Conditioning. You will need it in the summer…

Buick Lesabre. The money should get you a 2003 or 4. They last 150,000+ and the V-6 is good for 25-30 MPG. The FWD is excellent in the snow. As for the seats a throw rug will work nicely and keep FIDO warm and toasty. Good luck and welcome to the colonies. By the way, I lived near Manchester for several years.

Don’t buy a 2000 Subaru, whatever you do! I can attest through sad personal experience, that it will cost you money; a lot! I had a head gasket blow out and plug the radiator. Even though I pulled over as soon as I could, the engine was ruined. Both it and the radiator had to be replaced. It cost me $5,000!

I would like, also, to comment on AWD. I am told that all AWD systems require that you maintain all four tires within 1/8 inch in circumference or damage the transmission. This means that if you have four tires about half worn, and you damage one, you have to replace all four. Needless to say, this can be very costly as well.

Now I am having transmission problems, and fear more expense. This car is a total “lemon”, which i will tell to anyone who will listen.

My neighbor has/had a 2000 Subaru…Blown headgasket…Went to buy a new car…and told them he owned a Subaru…EVERY SINGLE SALESMAN asked if the Headgasket was blown…Turns out to be a MAJOR problem for that year

Its a major problem from 96-2000 in the 2.5L. The more current have not had any significant occurrence of it thankfully.

I prefer the Regal, but the Regal LS uses the same engine as the LeSabre. My FIL has a LeSabre and we have a Regal LS. The mileage is the same, but the LeSabre is a larger car (more rear leg room and a cavernous trunk). The Regal GS is also available used and it has the supercharged engine, unavailable in the LeSabre.