Brake job

I don’t see a problem with the billed amount on the brake pads and rotor servicing, which includes the parts.
Flat rate time on machining a rotor (which does not include R and R, or remove and replace) is around .8 of an hour, give or take, and if one assumes the flat rate is around 70 dollars per hour then it’s very easy to hit close to 300 per axle.

Heck, even a local full serve gas station here raised their labor rate to 60 dollars per hour a year or so ago and that’s here in OK where the cost of living is usually much less expensive than other parts of the country. I think in the San Francisco area some labor rates there are in the 200 dollar and up per flat rate hour.

Can brake pads be replaced without servicing the rotors? Yes, if you’re a DIYer and are prepared to redo it if there’s a problem. That is the backyard method and a proper repair means servicing those rotors. One can shortcut until sundown if you’re prepared to suffer the consequences of something going wrong.

The only issue I see here is the fluid flush being done without approval and the tire rotation; IF the rotation was done at the same time as the brake work and not done as an afterthought after the car was buttoned back up and out the door.

Before dissing the dealer completely here’s what I think you should do. Go in for a meeting with the service manager and explain the part about the fluid flush and tire rotation.
Keep this conversation very polite but firm (NO threats or cursing) and there’s a good chance they may refund this part of the bill. The service manager has the authority to chalk this off and a reputable one should not have a problem doing this.

thank you for your input…

You’re welcome and remember; deal with the service manager, NOT a service writer.

Last spring my son (who lives in another city) was advised by me that it was time to take his Lincoln Aviator in for a transmission fluid change. The dealer did the flush only treatment with no pan drop or filter change, and it opened up a real can of worms. And this was a 250 dollar flush to boot. He got the car back undriveable due to transmission shifting problems and they gave him some absolutely asinine reasons why the flush had nothing to do with it.

So I go down there and take the car in. When the serv. manager got off the phone we had a discussion about this and after taking him for a drive he agreed that it had problems. No kidding.
He also stated that they do not drop transmission pans and have not for 15 years or so at which point I told him he had 15 years of screwing up under his belt.
He had no answer when I asked him why the transmission pan was stamped “Has Reuseable Pan Gasket”. Obviously it’s reuseable for a reason.

The part that really stunned me was when he said that they did not pull transmission pans because “we’re afraid of leaks”. That just absolutely blew my mind and I reminded him that a transmission pan is a 3rd grade level repair and if his techs can’t R and R a pan without a gasket leak they should find another career.

Cutting to the chase, this flush caused a few internal problems and 800 dollars later the transmission was fine, and has been fine ever since. He agreed to waive the entire 800 dollars and my parting advice to him was that if they continued the flush only policy they could expect more of the same.
Odds are that if anyone has a problem due to this, and not being mechanically inclined, they may buy into the “well, your trans was due anyway” logic.

.8hr to machine a rotor?? It takes about 6 minutes and you don’t stand there and watch it…You go pull the other 3 rotors off. One of the kids from the grease rack who wants to learn can run the brake lathe. A good mechanic who has done this job several times before could have done this entire job in less than a hour, including the tire rotation. Pricing repair work with “flat rate manuals” has become a license to steal.

I’m amazed ANYONE ever takes their car back to the dealer for ANYTHING other than warranty work…Did the OP say this is a LEASE CAR?? Why are you paying to have the brake fluid changed?? It’s not your car!! It’s a rental! You have been milked like a cow in a creamery…

To do a 4 wheel brake job, the lines have to be bled properly to get the air out, and the fluid used (if all of it was drained) may cost about $10.

This is not entirely correct. It is possible to do a four wheel brake and never touch or open the hydraulics. If calipers, wheel cylinders or lines are not opened there is no need to bleed.

the car only went to the dealer because it needed warranty work…

also, who says a lease car does not require maintenance. the lease doesn’t cover tires, oil changes, both or which I needed.

So far I have not received a c/b from the service mgr.

ok4450 : You the car owner deal with a service writer and this places a usually mechanically clueless person between you and the tech who’s working on the car.

Key words–> the service writer a mechanically clueless person… ha ha ha, so succinctly put!! Thanks , I’m still rolling on the floor :slight_smile:

Absolutely you were overcharged for the brake job. Replacing brake pads on all 4 wheels is a half hour job. Also, your rotors would not need turning after 31,000 miles. If they really did then Nissan should replace them because they’re defective. Rotors rarely, if ever, need to be turned or worked on and many mechanics unfairly and dishonestly lead unsuspecting consumers to believe they need the work done or their brake pads will wear out improperly. It’s scare tactics designed to fleece the uneducated public. And, replacing brake fluid is always part of a full brake job at no extra cost. It’s no wonder you can’t get the service mgr to call you back. Don’t forget, he or she, gets a cut from whatever the mechanics pile on to the consumer. My friend is a service mgr. He does not work on vehicles. But, his cut gets him over $100,000 a year. He says it sounds like it’s time for you to go to the dealer; bypass the svc mgr since he won’t talk to you. What they did to you was unreasonable and SHAMEFUL. Go to your TV station consumer advocate as well.