Bought a Car From Dealer Posing as Private Owner on Craigslist in CA

I would totally agree with the point about going after a dealer or individual who sold the car if did not pass smog and that is what was required of it.

:However, this one hitch in this. It could be that the first dealer assigned the car to the second dealer and it wound up in the hands of a real curbstoner.
It could be that the actual seller of this car has no affiliation with a car lot, is not licensed, and may have even been using a fake name; never to be seen or heard of again.
If the second dealer has no clue and any actual seller contact info leads nowhere then the OP could well be a left up the creek victim.

Just something for consideration.

The first thing a used car buyer in California should ask: “Will this car pass an emissions test?” Then, “Lets get it tested and then we can talk…”

In Ca. if there is no smog certification, don’t buy the car. It’s as easy as that. There is always paperwork from the place that smogged it. If you don’t see the paper, you don’t buy the car. If this was a dealer owned car without as-is paperwork, you are right to get your money back.

I’ll speculate that the dealer whose name is on the title wholesaled the car, then it was passed around until some hustler was able to find a buyer. I wonder if you’ll be able to find the person responsable for the finale sale.

Is this on the 1992 Mazda?

Thanks everyone for the posts and advise. I’ll write an update later today after work.

One of the best pieces of advice I read to help detect a curbstoner is to say the following when they pick up the phone- “I’m calling about the car”.

If they ask, “which one?” that should set off alarm bells. Not many private sellers actively selling more than one car…

Great advice Twin Turbo, thank you.

I’m still pushing the seller/s for a full refund as it’s the best way out of this jam for them. I did tons of research and I’ll likely win in court should it go there, the registered owner could be fined and/or loose their license. I just don’t think they have/refused to realize the jam they are in. What a learning lesson this is!

@MarioGar don’t get too excited just yet. How much time and effort are you willing to expend to fight this guy and win?

I don’t see a problem with flipping a car for profit. Free market.
I only have an issue with selling a car that fails inspection.

I don't see a problem with flipping a car for profit. Free market.

That’s NOT the issue…the issue is the man posing as a private seller when in actually he’s a dealer…It’s called FRAUD.

@MikeInNH that “private seller” is a lying POS scumbag. One of many, unfortunately.

Hi Everyone,

The registered owner agreed to refund the full amount I paid for the car. I delivered the car yesterday and received my full refund. It was a great learning experience for me. I learned a whole lot from this experience.

Thank you everyone here for reading and the advice offered. I appreciate it very much.

Sweet! That’s great news.

Question, did you end up being out any sales tax, titling or registration fees as a result of this transaction?

Refunding your money was going to allow these crooks to stay in business. Once you have your money you can still report the matter to the proper authorities.

hi twin turbo,

no, i never registered the car. so, additional expenses there. the additional expenses incurred were for smog inspections(twice) and diagnostics. Plus, the headaches, stress and lots of time dealing with them. lots of time!

uncleturbo,

you have a point. these unscrupulous people should not have the privilege of holding state licenses.

@Congratulations although you are out the cost of 2 smogs, I would count myself lucky.

I would think twice about further pursuing this “private seller” because he’s essentially made it right.
Are you sure you want this guy to start a vendetta? He already screwed you once, maybe he can think of something else to make your life miserable.