Bought 04 Matrix w/12-month warranty from Dealer - issues

rhode island!

Vermont?

Delaware?

Tierra del Fuego.

I fail to see how mentioning the name of the state is harmful in any way nor does it even lead in any direction to any dealer or individual. It does make a difference in the end result though.

As I mentioned, if you signed an “AS IS” disclaimer without any warranty being clearly spelled out then a dealer can flat out lie about everything on that car from stem to stern and you can do absolutely nothing about it legally.

Hopefully others reading following this interesting thread will note the key finding observed by the OP’er: Before purchasing a used car, have someone you trust who is familiar with cars and car repairs put it on a lift and take a look.

Agree with others that, given the extensive rust, this is quite likely a Hurricane Sandy victim. I assisted with cleanup efforts on Staten Island NY and saw streets lined with cars that had been flooded up to the roof with salt water.

Yours may not have been flooded that deeply, but it was quite probably flooded up to at least the floorboards. Sorry for your difficulty.

As I mentioned, if you signed an “AS IS” disclaimer without any warranty being clearly spelled out then a dealer can flat out lie about everything on that car from stem to stern and you can do absolutely nothing about it legally.

That’s not entirely true. They can say nothing or they can ‘puff’ but they cannot outright lie or misrepresent the vehicle condition as that turns into fraudulent representation. AS-IS does not protect the seller from fraud…

If it were me, I might be inclined to figure out the value of the 9 months I owned and used it, deduct that from what I paid and ask for that amount as monetary compensation. Basically sell the car back to them at a reduced price for the time you used it. Then go somewhere else to spend the difference and chalk it up to a learning experience.

The courts are unlikely to refund all of your money since you did get utility out of it. The above is a fair compromise for everyone. (Compromise- where everyone is equally dissatisfied with the result).

Hi. They’re mulling. … (edited)
We shall see. I’m car shopping, and should hear from them within a day now. They’ve been very nice. I know, I know. You can’t put nice in the bank, but it helps.

Being nice because they know they sold you a flooded salvage car and are hoping that info doesn’t become public.

Of course they’re being nice. They screwed up big time and they know it. All they need is for an inspector from the state to open an investigation, especially since they inspected and passed the car, and they just might have more trouble than they want. As a matter of fact, the fact that they inspected the car and passed it could easily be construed as hard evidence that they presented the car as safe when it wasn’t.

I really do credit this forum for my getting a grip on the situation. NTW, I will call in the right help from the state if need be very soon.
Thanks!

WIsh I had some news to report. They’re mulling it over, pricing out the repair, etc. Does anyone think that if they replaced the rusted-through subframe and made other needed repairs that it would end up being a “good car” in some fashion? I can’t really see it that way myself.

No, I do not.
I think it’s time to call a lawyer. They’re clearly stringing you along.

Thank you. I will be taking action very soon. If I don’t have an offer I like tomorrow, I start with the dept. in my state that deals with motor vehicle investigations related to inspection and auto sales. Already have the number handy.

@SlowLane‌

Don’t wait for the dealer to take action

Call that number you mentioned first thing Friday morning. Alert them to the situation. Give them names, dates, etc.

Then advise the dealer that you’ve already contacted that agency

I still think you should contact a lawyer

By the way, even if the subframe is repaired/replaced, the car will start rusting somewhere else. Very soon, and very badly, from the sound of it. Rust is like cancer, and I think your car may be in an advanced stage, from the way you describe it.

Agree with others. The car will have other hidden issues from the salt water flooding. There is no “repairing” it.

Well, the vehicle was bought 9 months ago with a 12 month warranty. Three months and one day of obfuscation, stonewalling, and maybe some outright BS could allow them to wash their hands of the matter entirely… :slight_smile:

Often all you have to do is get a lawyer to contact the offender and the issue will be taken care of quickly. Once they see that you are serious enough to bring in professional help, they will likely clear this up fast.

Progress is being made… will update with resolution in a general way. Still doing my best not to identify the shop, place, etc.