Bonneville Blower Control Diagnosis

Thanks for the drawing, it really helps.

You stated earlier that the orange wire doesn’t have voltage at the relay, like it should have. If there is voltage at the switch side then I would check the connection at connector C203 pin B3. That is the most likely spot for the trouble. The factory manual should tell you where to find that connector. The drawing also shows that the relay ties to a fusible link for power when the HI position is selected and the relay is on so make sure that is ok. I think you may have done that already though.

Wow this is great thank you – I will also check the connection at C203 pin B3. I was trying to make sense of that portion of the diagram, thank you for clearing that up. Yes, there is battery voltage on the dark blue wire coming from fusible link B. Thanks again!

You’re welcome for the help. Your investment in the factory manual has just paid off. If you want to verify that the blower will work ok from the relay you can take a jumper wire tied to power and touch it to the orange wire connection on the relay. That will energize the relay and connect power to the motor.

Would I take the wire and kind of stick one end of the wire into the appropriate slot on the connector (where the orange wire terminates) and then plug the relay in and then connect the other end of the wire to the battery? I don’t see any other way to do it because with the relay connected there is no way to touch the wire to the orange wire contact. “Dumb” question I know, but I have not done very much eletrical stuff on my cars before…

You can use something like a pin to jam into the end of the connector and touch the jumper wire to it if you want to do that test. Anything that will make connection to the orange wire will work.

A general question, if I may, about the circuit diagram – what do the numbers in front of the wire color mean? For example, “.8 ORN”, or “3 BLK”, or “1 LT GRN” – what t the .8, 3, and 1 mean in this context? Could not find an explanation in the manual… thx!

link to diagram – http://www.flickr.com/photos/22742899@N05/3742619349/sizes/l/

I believe the numbers represent the wire size. The larger the number, the larger the wire gauge. There should be a legend in the front area of the wiring section that explains it.

Well, I re-checked the Orange, Dark Blue, and Red wires, and it turens out I am getting Battery voltage on all three, including the orange wire. So, according to the manual diagnostics the chief suspect at this point is the relay, which is on order and due in tomorrow. I plan to put that in and take it from there.

Yes, the relay is the only possible thing left as a possible trouble if you have good voltage getting to the relay and a good ground connection to the other side of the relay coil.

Finally had a chance to swap the relay. That was the problem, because the blower blows like a champ on HI now. Thanks Cougar and everyone for the guidance!