Boiling Coolant in Reservoir

Mikera- your initial post said your fan was not coming on per your mechanic.

I’m also wondering why a car would be left idling for more than an hour?

It’s stated originally that the fan was not operating and later it’s stated that it is functioning.

If an engine is left to idle for extended periods this means the cooling fan will cycle on and off repeatedly.
That doesn’t mean that the fan will cycle repeatedly as it should though. It may cycle through 18 times properly and on Number 19 may not kick on due to an electrical intermittent. That’s when the temp climbs and the boiling starts.

It might not be a bad idea to check the cooling fan to see if it’s draggging and how much current it’s drawing. Fans can appear fine both visually and audibly and still be on the verge of failure.

If I understand correctly, the radiator fan problem has been resolved, and now the radiator fan comes on at the temperature it should. And turns off when it should. And you have no coolant boiling problem either now, since the radiator fan problem was fixed. Is that correct OP? If so, please explain what was required to fix the radiator fan problem.

If the above is correct, then as I understand the only problem remaining is a small loss of coolant, about 1/4 cup every few weeks. And you are 100% certain there’s no head gasket leak. Is all that correct OP?

Assuming that is all correct …

Do you continue to see coolant dripping anywhere, like from the thermostat housing? What about the water pump weep hole, did you inspect there? What about the radiator? Any signs of leaks there, especially where the top plastic portion meets up w/the metal portion? That would be a likely problem in this case b/c of the prior overheating the coolant. I know b/c I had a radiator fan problem on my Corolla one time, and the result was a radiator leak at that location.

Hello Oldtimer 11

Yes I did state that, however it was not the fan issue, after about a month ( First week in May) the fan start to work again.

The coolant is NOT boiling anymore, is just leaking coolant.

I left the car at a reputable mechanic shop this morning, either way its time to change the waterpump as the car has 177000 kilometer, and still still work excellent, but just waiting to hear back from the shop as to why is leaking coolant.

what is a fair price including labor to replace the water pump in Toronto?

Here in Boston the book rate for replacing the water pump is $850-$1350. Most of it is labor.

On the 2.7L? hmmm … I’m guessing around $100 for the pump, plus around 6-7 hours in labor. So parts and labor, around $700-800. Figure a little higher than that if you want the shop to use an OEM pump and/or you live in an area with higher than normal hourly repair costs, which is probably true in Toronto proper.

I’m sure that @GeorgeSanJose quoted the price in US dollars. That would equate to about $950 to $1200 Canadian dollars, about what you were quoted by your garage in Toronto.

Thanks Guys,

Yes its the water pump.
Cost to replace the water pump only is $700.00 including parts and labor.
However it will be a little more, due to changing the thermostat,and a timing cover gaskets.
He is only charging me for the parts as he has to remove those items.

After-all I believe its a fair price.

I will report back on the quality of service.

As I told my wife I can’t buy a car for $700.00 in the condition my is in.