Bentley: What Makes it a Good Car?

What kind of parts? Bentley is one of the VW brands, I’d be surprised if many parts were shared with Toyota.

Yup!
Bentley’s W12 engine is essentially two VW V6 engines cobbled together.

I just watched Hoovie’s video about the Bentayga, all it mentioned were the VW suspension arms.

A video of how it is made…

The narrow angle engine was a Lancia invention. They had a 14.5 degree V4 with a single cylinder head back in the mid 1920s in the Lambda and later in the Fulvia

Perhaps that is true in some cases, but my penny-pinching friend always buys a knockoff made-in-China laundry detergent (I don’t recall the name) at the dollar store, and his clothing is so covered with stain spots that he sometimes resembles a Leopard. A few years ago, I noticed imitation Colgate toothpaste at a dollar store, and instead of Fluoride, its “active ingredient” was honey. Yeah, that sounds like something that one should apply to one’s teeth.

And then we have the SA-spec motor oils that the dollar stores were selling for several years. I wonder how many modern engines were ruined by using that junk.

VW’s VR6 spawned a whole bunch of engines, including the W16 in the Bugatti. Pretty impressive.

Back in the late 1970s, GM got in trouble for putting Chevrolet V8 engines in Oldsmobiles. Now I find out that cobbled VW engines are installed in Bentleys. Oldsmobile owners with the Chevrolet engines were sent to Chevrolet dealers’ service departments. Are Bentley owners able to have their Bentleys serviced at VW dealers?

I won’t buy that dollar store oil. Someone once gave me a case of this crap and it didn’t even have a weight and said something about how it wasn’t for use in cars newer than 1982. I had to figure out what to even do with the crap and I ended up using it as chainsaw bar oil and I am not sure it was even good for that.

I guess if your car was catastrophically low on oil, this could limp you to a shop to have the oil changed with proper oil but it would need to be done ASAP. The stuff I had didn’t state of it was detergent or not. Of course nothing about anti-wear additives was mentioned.

As for the dollar store detergents, I won’t use those either. I did once and got a nice comparison with Tide in removing nasty used motor oil. I had changed oil in some mowers and such earlier in the day. The old oil was sitting in a jug. I guess I had my hands full while changing the oil and didn’t screw the cap on. The oil was obviously filled to the very top of the jug as well. Anyway, I bumped it while wearing nice jeans and pretty much soaked one of the lower legs in dark used motor oil.

I had some of the dollar store detergent and figured I would just use tons of that on the impacted area. You could tell it was doing nothing and not removing the oil at all. I also had some Tide on hand and decided to use that. The difference was immediate and you could see the Tide breaking up the oil. I hand washed some in Tide which made a big difference and then soaked it in the pure product for a while. I then threw it in the wash alone and you couldn’t tell the jeans were ever soaked through with nasty used motor oil. As for detergent, now I usually get the Costco or Sam’s Club version. It rates out well and I have had no issues with it removing dirt and oil.

There are many products out there that are so cheap as to not be a deal at ANY price. I am honestly not sure they would even be worth it if they were given to you. Dollar stores seem to be full of them as well. My friends with young kids like them for little ice cream packs, candy, and cheap toys that their kids will get tired of or break quickly. They say there are good deals if you go in regularly and know what is good and what is not but I have never gotten in the habit as I don’t have lots of time to waste just randomly shopping.

@cwatkin About the only place the Dollar Store SA rated oil might be o.k.is if it is 30 weight in an old two stroke lawnmower. The LawnBoy my Dad bought in 1955 specifically recommended 1/2 pint of non detergent 30 weight to a gallon of gasoline. That was a 16:1 ratio and one could fog for mosquitoes as one mowed
I don’t know the oil specifications for the two stroke Saab and DKW cars of the late 1950s. Perhaps the Dollar Store oil might be o.k. for these engines. If so, buy up all the Dollar Store oil you can lay your hands on, because, like the South, “The 2 stroke engines will rise again”!

How does this keep deposits from forming? Don’t even two cycle oils have additives?

I remember the old green Lawn Boys when I was a kid. My dad would buy a metal can of oil in a six pack. Yes it was very smoky and I never liked those mowers much when compared to a 4 stroke for mainly that reason. I guess the older ones were better but they seemed like dogs towards the end. It seemed he would pay a premium for them and have nothing but problems. Then he went to the cheap 4 strokes and just runs them until they die which seems to be longer than his old Lawn Boys.

I have also been told that the dollar store oil is like waste products and leftovers from various batches that get mixed together so you have no idea what additives are in it or not. Some might be fine in a 2 stroke and others not so much.

I also understand there are two stroke oils designed for hotter running air cooled engines such as weed eaters and chainsaws while water cooled engines such as for boat motors take a different type of oil altogether as they run much cooler.

The only things I buy at dollar stores are holiday gift bags (which are identical to those sold elsewhere, but at 1/3 to 1/4 the cost) and small plastic “basins” that I use to wash parts and other things that I wouldn’t put in a sink. For my purposes, those dollar store plastic basins are fine, but I won’t buy anything else there.

A few years ago, I was with a friend when he bought a container of Ajax scouring powder at a dollar store for–obviously–$1. A few days later, I saw the same size container of Ajax at Walmart where it was selling for 88 cents.

Mine looks just like an original to a casual observer, but closer observation shows it has a battery operated movement, while the oem watch uses a mechanical movement with a lot of itty-bitty Swiss made moving parts.

Ok I’ll cover it all. My Acura changes time all by itself. Don’t have to do anything. On the Pontiac I have to push the clock button then twist the radio station selector fore or aft one hour.

I had a 74 olds that I checked to make sure it was an olds engine and would have been very upset with a Chevy engine. There were key differences.

Yeah I would never buy oil at the dollar store. I’ve bought scrub brushes there and a turkey pan for oil changes but that’s about it. I’m not a regular, I remember seeing no prices on anything asked the guy where the prices were. He said it’s the dollar store, everything is a dollar, or was, who knew? I’ve got about a three year supply of oil on hand now so hoping things will have corrected by then, or the alternative that I’m not hoping for. Yeah don’t buy oil or candy or tools at the dollar store. In fact some things are cheaper at a regular store.

The only thing I get at the dollar store are cards.

@cwatkin I mowed a lot of acres with the old 2 stroke LawnBoy. The owner’s manual that came with the mower showed how to disassemble and reassemble the engine. About every other year, I would tear the engine down, break the glaze off the cylinder walls, scrape the carbon off the piston top, install new rings, put a new needle and seat in the carburetor, install points and condenser in the magneto, sharpen the blade and the mower was good as new. I think we had that mower for eleven years. I liked the two stroke engine for its simplicity.
I still have a snow blower with a two stroke engine that I bought at Walmart over 20 years ago. I use premixed 50:1 fuel which is rather expensive. However, one liter gets me through the winter.

1 Like

They also put Buick V-6’s and Pontiac 4 cyl. in Oldsmobiles, but I don’t remember any big deal about them.

VW/Audi parts since it’s the same platform that Audi, Porsche, and Lamborghini use for Suv’s.
Everything wrong with my Wife’s Cheap Bentley Bentayga, will this VW/Audi W12 be a NIGHTMARE to own? - YouTube

The premix usually has no alcohol which seems to be a HUGE benefit to small engines. We have a couple stations selling alcohol free premium which I always buy for my small engine equipment. It has made a world of difference in regards to avoiding problems. In your case you get a quart of the stuff and it lasts you all winter so not a bad deal in that case.

Modern equipment, unless commercial, doesn’t seem to be meant for rebuilding like this. It will take a day to get it apart and back together and even then it is questionable if it is worth it or not. A lot of the stuff says to never change the oil which I think is BS so I turn it over and drain after I run it out of gas. Carbs are also non-adjustable with fixed jets.

I don’t use it myself but instead use premium non-oxy with stabilizer. One small engine shop in Canada said it was great stuff. Another small engine shop down south said they were having trouble with it. Take your pick as usual but if you have a problem switch fuels and throw away the gold tipped spark plug.

I guess I am going to have to get with the throw away society. I have two lawnmowers, an 18" Toro push mower I bought in 1988 and 20" Homelite Jacobsen I bought in 1992 because I wanted a bigger mower. The engine on the Homelite Jacobsen burns oil and has lost power, so I am back to using the Toro. A couple of weeks ago, the lower part of the handle broke and that part is no longer available. I managed to drive a dowel rod down into the lower handle, pound the parts of lower handle together and secure the too part of the handle to the lower part with hose clamps. Hardly any parts are available for the Homelite Jacobsen mower. I bought these mowers because they had cast aluminium decks that won’t rust. I guess nobody keeps mowers in service as long as I do. I did buy a Black and Decker battery mower from a friend. I had to replace the lead acid batteries after a year. Two years later, the mower again needed batteries. I installed the second set of batteries, mowed for 5 minutes and the controller board burned out. A new board is no longer available, so I had to junk the mower. If a Bentley would come with a guarantee that parts would be available as long as I owned the vehicle, and like my mowers with the cast aluminium decks, the under carriage wouldn’t rust out on the Bentley, it might be a good purchase.
However, I guess I’ll keep driving my Toyotas until they rust away and when my mower finally isn’t repairable due to lack of parts, I will buy a throw away mower.
I had to authorize buying throw away vacuum cleaners for the church I attend. We had an expensive Kirby and I think our custodian was hot rodding the vacuum cleaner. I found that it was cheaper to go to Big Lots and.by a factory reconditioned vacuum cleaner than to keep having the Kirby repaired. When the Big Lots special but the dust, I just threw it away and bought another vacuum cleaner from Big Lots.
When I was in college, I inherited a Swiss Chronograph watch. When it needed to be repaired, the cost of repair was $65. I didn’t have $65 back in 1960, so I bought 2 Timex watches. I would wear one watch until it stopped and send it to Timex along with $5 to cover shipping and handling. I would then wear the second Timex watch. I kept up this arrangement until I no longer wore spring driven watches and switched to battery powered watches. About 10 years ago, I took the Swiss Chronograph to my jewelry store for repair. He sent it to a watchmaker and the repair cost was $275. I had it repaired because the the value of the watch is over $4000. However, I seldom wear it. The battery powered watch my wife bought me keeps better time.