Bentley: What Makes it a Good Car?

+1
It seems that many–perhaps most–people are unaware that a modern-day econobox accelerates faster than full-size sedans from the '80s and previous to that decade. Perceptions of what qualifies as “performance” (in terms of both acceleration and braking) have changed a LOT over the decades.

1 Like

Seems the answer is yes to everything, plus better color choices & service

engine power?
suspension?
interior materials?
any systems less failure prone or more robust in some way?

I give a no to this, expensive cars are by no means more reliable, especially European ones.

4 Likes

I wonder if there’s some sort of backup system for no-cranks? For example in case the battery gets weak? Or the starter motor solenoid contacts begin to foul. I don’t particulaly value more color choices, but a car that always started even if the main battery was a little weak, that’s something I’d value.

I am totally with you! Sometimes the more expensive cars are the most temperamental and have the most specialized maintenance and repairs. You don’t buy these for their dead solid reliability. You buy a boring Camry for that! Bugattis are not that way. https://www.bugatti-broward.com/service/service-information/bugatti-oil-change/#:~:text=Bugatti%20oil%20change%20costs%20usually,you%20require%20during%20the%20visit.

+1
Bentleys, Rolls Royces, and other extremely high-end cars have incredibly high maintenance costs–and yet–are not necessarily any more reliable than a Japanese, or American, or Korean econobox. However, the folks who buy those very high-end cars probably own many cars, probably drive very few miles per year–per car, are used to high maintenance and repair costs, and are not put-off by a lack of reliability.

2 Likes

Yes. Although many are leased because the owners want the newest model and because they know how expensive repairs will be. That is why these cars get cheap when they exit warranty.

A friend had his Alfa’s brakes bled… for $3200. He told me the hourly rate at the Naples Audi dealer was $267 an hour to install a tow hitch on his new Q7 (?).

That is why we say there is no car more expensive than a cheap Euro luxury car.

4 Likes

$3200 to bleed brakes? Near highway robbery. I presume this was a newer Alfa. Recent classic car magazine adventure article, used early 2000’s Alfa purchased in UK for around $1K. A little shop work to make sure the brakes in good condition, fluid levels ok, engine seems to be running, transmission shifting so off they go, taking ferry from UK to France then driving to Italy where the car was manufactured. Intention was round trip, driving car back to UK. No problems at all, until the end of the line in Italy, when serious electrical problems ensued. Owner worried car was going to catch fire. English speaking owner couldn’t communicate w/Italian mechanics, so gave the Alfa to the shop and flew back to UK.

1 Like

A 2019 if I remember correctly.

Italian cars define “electrical problems”… The Brits suffered less under Lucas, The Prince of Darkness. So now Chrysler is owned by them… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

A lot of folks in Italy pretend they don’t understand English but they do.

1 Like

A car pro who used to post on a different site like to recall the brake job on a Rolls he knew of: $8,000, nothing unusual done, and this was 20 years ago.

1 Like

I had a gf , born in a non-English speaking country, but grew up in New England K-8, then moved back to home country. So she spoke nearly perfect English, no accent at all. 8th grade limited vocabulary was the only thing an English speaking native might notice. Whenever she visited me in the USA and got herself in a pickle, like pulled over by the police for coasting through a stop sign, she effected “ME NO SPEAKO” responses, usually just sent on her way … lol …

2 Likes

The nearby dealership that used to sell Fiats–until Fiat apparently departed once again from the US marketplace–is now hawking Alfas. In the last few months, I’ve seen a growing number of Alfa sedans on local roads, due to–I’m assuming–the dealership unloading those cars at deep discounts. I hope for the sake of the people driving those Alfas that they leased them, and didn’t choose to buy them.

IIRC @Nevada_545 has posted here that presenting $5000 invoices to customers isn’t unusual at all in his shop. Just the price of driving a high end car. Good way to earn $$ for the mechanics.

I had an unusual amount of electrical problems w/my late 70’s VW Rabbit. 30 year old Corolla’s electrical system, as well as my 50 year old Ford truck’s, rock solid by comparison. Don’t really understand why, physical laws governing electricity same in Germany and Japan and USA.

In my experience, most of the folks in Italy who work in retail environments speak–and comprehend–the English language very well. Certainly at a higher level of English proficiency than in France, but–possibly–a lower level of English proficiency than in Germany and in the Scandinavian nations.

The laws are the same but the software competency is not the same between Bosch, Magnetti Marelli, Denso, and other suppliers.

Not sure what that means, in regard to auto electric parts. I’ve always assumed VW was willing to trade off electrical system robustness for lighter weight and a more perky drive.

In boot camp no comprende was often used by our Puerto Rican inductees when it came time for kitchen duty. Spoke very good English otherwise. :grinning:

1 Like

Software resides in every electronic module which run the car. There are a bunch of modules controlling every function. The undiagnosible and unrepairable, hair ripping, car crippling, problems many of these cars experience is often the result of buggy software not fully tested before release.

It is also often the result of poorly designed electronics and poorly designed wiring, and grounds. But them together, and you get a car so screwed up not even the car’s engineers can determine what is wrong.

1 Like

I had a '75 Olds 98 Regency, similar chassis to the Caddy. I don’t remember what kind of brakes it had, but I do remember that stepping on the brakes at speed was more a suggestion than a command.

1 Like