Benefits of low-profile tires

Has anybody ever asked the dealer to swap for steel rims with normal profile? I would think they would be happy to, as they would make money on the deal.

I remember a few years ago there was some discussion talking about ‘take offs’, the plain wheels and tires left over when somebody ‘upgrades’ to big wheel/low profile tires. Anyone ever actually dealt with a dealer or tire shop on take offs?

It can be done- ie swap out the LPTs for higher profile ones. The Owner’s Manual may help make your case especially if it acknowledges the LPT’s are easily damaged and if the car mfr provides no equivalent normal tire as an option to the OE LPTs. In such a case the mfr seemingly is shouldering product liability claims resulting from potential catastrophic failure of the inherently, easily damaged OE tires. It seems this would be a win-win situation for car owner to have a better quality ride and removal of potential product liability claims for the mfr. It may take a few emails to mfr’s consumer affairs dept, but it can be done. Good luck.

Yes, I know it can be done

swap the EX-L rims and for EX rims and tires

By the way, I’ve not damaged my rims or tires due to bad roads

That’s not my issue . . . my issue is ride quality

The EX-L doesn’t have bigger brakes than the EX . . . the bigger rims and tires are for looks only, as far as I’m concerned

I read your entire post . . . and in my opinion you’re making way more out of it than I ever would have. No owner’s manual is going to acknowledge the tires are easily damaged. And as for product liability claims . . . the car is out of warranty. Anything I do is going to be on my dime. No reason to contact the manufacturer’s consumer affairs department

What product liability ? Just because you hit a pot hole that damaged a wheel that was on the vehicle when it was purchased. The same thing can happen to any size wheel .

My owner's manual does.
Sent from: Lenovo B6000-F

Depends on how many miles you put on your vehicle doesn’t it? My wife drives less then I do - and averages new tires every 3 years. I average new tires every 2 years.

With my wife’s Accords she use to own - she could get 70k+ miles on a set of tires. Her Lexus with the low profile tires - about 40k miles. Same Michelin tires. I’m sure a lot has to do with being low profile tires. Also weight is a factor since her Lexus is heavier then her 98 and 96 Accords.

And then there are some people who have no sense of taste…and they put low-profile tires on a Large Pickup or SUV. Sorry…they IMHO - low-profile tires on this type of vehicle looks like crap.

More to do with the compound. You can even get 85,000 mile treadwear warranty on low profiles, but you’re not gonna carve the corners as well as the more performance-oriented ones (which, if you don’t care, is great). And that’s not an off-brand either - it’s stuff like Yokohama.

I do agree with you about the trucks, but then those things are nothing but useless fashion statements anyway.

Agree with the general wisdom and the point is that, Every tire is a compromise.

Low Profile, Sticky and Wider tires generally have better grip but at the expense of giving a harder ride, being more prone to damage, faster wearing and worse in snow and rain.

High Profile, Harder and Narrower tires sacrifice grip for the benefit of a smoother ride, better durability, longer wear and being better in snow and rain.

It’s a preference BUT remember that the tires are only a part of the complete system!

i.e. A Toyota and a Lotus may share some major components but regardless of how much you lift, lower and modify the Toyota, it ain’t gonna never hable like a Lotus.

Was that the Energy MXV4? I didn’t know that was available so many years ago.