Belts keep slipping

Yep. Here’s what it is supposed to look like.

I know the whole thing needs to be replaced. I went to an auto store and the part is about $350. I’m trying to see if anyone I know can help me change it out if not I have to find a place that’s open layer that can change it out quickly because unfortunately I need the car. There are two belts the other one wasn’t on there because I was readjusting the belts which didn’t work the larger on in front keeps going about 2/3 off when I start the car. I know I shouldn’t be driving but if I lose my job I can’t fix it or get a new car.

OK, this photo makes a world of difference. Obviously not the wrong belts.

A factory replacement crankshaft pulley is $200 for the 4 cylinder engine, aftermarket is about $55.

The timing case cover is already damaged

If you replace the balancer NOW, you might be able to just replace the part and just live with that groove

But when you have the balancer off, you may discover the timing case cover is far more seriously damaged, than you previous thought

Wherever you take the car to be repaired, I highly suggest you let THEM source the part. That way, they’ll probably guarantee the part and labor for one year. If they somehow let you supply the part yourself . . . and most shops won’t let you do that, anyways . . . then they definitely won’t guarantee the part

A lot of balancers have tapped holes, and you need a puller to remove and install them. In many cases, you need a special tool to hold the balancer, so that you can properly torque the bolt. Often the bolt is considered one-time use, which means you buy a new bolt. Or you can take your chances with an impact wrench and reuse the old bolt, and hope it doesn’t back out. I don’t recommend that

Besides oem and aftermarket, if parts $$$ is a major factor, you can probably buy that part used, from a parts recycler. I’d be more inclined to buy an oem used one in good shape than a cheapo aftermarket new one myself. Good call on your part to seek out help with the actual replacement procedure. As mentioned above, there’s special tools and skills involved. Crank pulley work is not a job for a novice diy’er without someone experienced helping.

Just curious, I haven’t heard the term “open layer” here. What does that mean?

Probably just a typo. OP probably meant “later”.

Don’t mean to be ignorant but my captain obvious is saying the small belt is in the wrong place and the wider belt is missing.

click on image to see op pic

I did mean open later I just didn’t read over before I posted. I got the car in but they have to order the part which won’t be in till Monday or Tuesday. Thankfully it didn’t cause any problems except scratching the case so they can just replace the pulley.

“scratching the case”

Hopefully, it didn’t go all the way through . . .

As I said, if the bolt needs to be replaced . . . and they often do . . . make sure a new one is installed and properly torqued

You don’t want that balancer coming off while you’re driving . . . it’s actually been known to happen, when the correct procedure was not followed