Beetle in snow?

I’m 24 and she’s 62, but my mother is…well, she’s only half-Jewish but is still single-handedly perpetuating the stereotype of the nagging, obsessive Jewish mother. It’s impressive, really. But no matter, all the good responses I’m getting here should go a long way towards pacifying her.

Tell mom to back off, unless she’s paying.

Spoken like someone who’s never met her. But thanks for a good laugh. :wink:

Michigan? Well then a Massachusetts winter shouldn’t be too challenging. Thank you!

Well then from one 24 year old to another, here’s hopin’ the Beetle treats you well!

I’ll definitely keep that in mind about the winter tires. The salesman at the dealership is the stepfather of an old friend of mine from school…maybe I could get him to throw in a set of winter tires.

I agree…Only the remote mountain areas in NH or MA see as much snow as Michigan.

Well, I’m in Western MA, so it might not be as much, but definitely comparable.

If you live in the parts of Mass. that actually DO get measurable snow (ever been to Florida, MA.?), four good snow tires (NOT all seasons) are essential. After all, you can have front wheel, four wheel or umpteen wheel drive, but if those wheels can’t get a grip in the slippery stuff you’re going to end up upside down in the median of the interstate, just like all those SUV’s full of skiers from downcountry that we see up here every weekend. Sticky tires or not, ground clearance is a SERIOUS issue with the New Beetle. A buddy of mine, up here in Southern Vermont, inherited one of these things after his dad died. He equipped it with a set of premium Michelin studded snow tires. If he had to drive through more than four inches of unplowed snow (in his driveway or before the road plows came out) this thing would high center from the snow packed up underneath the car. He sold it as soon as he could the next spring. The Golfs and Jettas have significantly more clearance, even though they share mechanical bits. And, that’s not even getting into the DISMAL repair & reliability records ALL VW’s have had for about the last 10 years.

We have a 2003 Bettle and it drives wonderfully in the snow.

It’s because they were more worried about moose-proofing their cars. It’s one reason Saab’s used to be so ugly. Solid roof pillars really close together. Swedes probably know when not to drive too. I’ve been to New Sweden Maine but it’s not the same.

edit

Any front-wheel drive car is going to do reasonably well in the snow UNTIL it loses traction! Then, it is worse than a rear-wheel drive because you have not only lost your driving wheels traction but, your steering traction as well. A front-wheel drive car goes so well not because it is front-wheel drive but, because the weight of the engine is directly above the tires. That is why the original beetles went so well in the snow. They were rear-wheel drive but, the engine was above the driving wheels. The biggest problem I have with front-wheel drive cars is in a downhill situation on a slick road. In a rear-wheel drive, you can let the transmission slow the vehicle while still maintaining steering even if the rear tires skid. In a front-wheel drive, once the tires break traction, you have lost control of steering. Front-wheel drive cars are great most of the time but, I prefer rear-wheel myself. Talk amongst yourselves:)

Just curious what part of the world you live in and what you consider driving in snow. Are you talkin’ about unplowed conditions?:slight_smile:

Any front-wheel drive car is going to do reasonably well in the snow UNTIL it loses traction! Then, it is worse than a rear-wheel drive because you have not only lost your driving wheels traction but, your steering traction as well. A front-wheel drive car goes so well not because it is front-wheel drive but, because the weight of the engine is directly above the tires.

Oh there are other advantages in driving in snow in fwd over rwd. Ever get stuck snow in a rwd. What happens is your rear wheels are locked into a rut and you’re only option is rocking the vehicle back and forth. With fwd you can TURN your wheels thus getting out of the rut. It’s a LOT easier getting traction and maintaining traction in fwd then a rwd vehicle.

Oh, I’ve met the type. You should have seen the look on my mother’s face the first time I told her to back off, but she did. In my case she was bugging me about when my wife and I were going to have children. My other tactic is to simply agree with her and then do what I want anyway. “Yes, Mother, you are absolutely right” doesn’t mean you have to do as she says. :wink:

I noticed that many posters assumed the OP was talking about an old, RWD Volvo. Volvo has been selling FWD cars for 10 years or more. Hey original poster!! What kind of Volvo are you talking about?

Buy four winter tires from tirerack.com with steel rims for around $600-$700 and you will get through nearly any winter storm with the car likely. Also your car will be significantly safer on those light snow days with 1-3" of slick stuff on the road. You will likely will find yourself being able to approach the speed limit on snow covered roads since you can go around bends and brake very well. Also your ABS will likely rarely engage even under a hard brake on a winter covered road since you have full traction.

The only thing about winter tires I find around New England is watching out for the rest of cars who slip/slide and cannot brake well. And the frustrating driver who decides 20MPH is safe which is fine however pull over or slow down more to let cars pass. I usually figure out its slippery out by watching other cars not mine.

On costs if you put a price on safety for yourself and possibly family, during the periods your using your winter tires your other seasons are not wearing down. The mount/dismount of wheels since they are on rims is usually only $12-$20 usually if added to an oil change. During these periods you also get your regular tires rotated for optimal wear.

There are a select few all-seasons that perform extremely well in the winter since they are essentially a winter tire(I use Nokian WR G2). However the rest of all-seasons pale in comparison.

Just curious what part of the world you live in and what you consider driving in snow. Are you talkin’ about unplowed conditions?:slight_smile:

Not sure if you were referring to me but; I live in the very tip of TN. We definitely don’t get the snow here we used to but, I have driven in Chicago snows and before I hear any crap from you Yankees making fun of us Southerners because we close schools etc. because we got “only” a foot of snow, remember that we have something called “hills” and “mountains”. Talk amongst yourselves:)

The weight is over the drive wheels and the clearance is decent. Add good tires and you’ve gone about as far as you reasonably can short of four-wheel drive.

Actually, I was asking gabywistica about his/her opinion that the New Beetles are fine in the snow. And, gawlee and tarnation! Ah guess you all in Tennesee is right about us’n Damn Yankees! Us’n up here in VERMONT (ver>verde>GREEN + mont>MOUNTAIN = GREEN MOUNTAIN) don’t hardly no nuthin’ ‘bout drivin’ on hills in the snow!!!