Battery Replacement Question

I’d guess Tester’s method is the better approach. That gadget probably contains diodes to prevent current spikes from flowing in the wrong direction when the 9 volt battery is connected to the 12 volt car battery.

when is your next smog . . . ?!

If it’s next week, for example, you might want to consider a cheap 12V memory saver

Not to add to the confusion but I have one of those memory savers but if the accessory outlet is not powered all the time it didn’t seem to do much good for me. All I lost though was the radio pre-sets. The next time I just hooked the battery charger at 2 amp setting to the cable ends while changing the battery. That seemed to work. It doesn’t know a battery is not hooked up.

1 Like

I use this one . . . it hooks up to the dlc

That would be as effective as inserting a pickle into the power outlet, the power outlet is switched off when the ignition is off.

"This socket is intended to supply
power for 12 volt DC accessories
that are rated 120 watts or less (10
amps). It will not power an
automotive type cigarette lighter
element.
To use an accessory power socket,
the ignition switch must be in the
ACCESSORY (I) or ON (II) position."

In the shop if there really was a concern about disconnecting the battery I would connect the jumper box to the battery cables.

No, keep the key OFF, to avoid any more current draw than the small amount that occurs when the car is off and sitting there.

Sorry for my ignorance, what and where is a DIC?

Mea Culpa! And here I thought the 9v battery dongle was designed to keep the car’s memory ALIVE by providing power with the 12v battery removed, and the objection to using the 9v battery was that the power point might be disconnected from the cars electrical system once the car was shut off, and 12v battery removed.
Obviously I misunderstood everything. ( **/**sarcasm off )

I think there have been many good answers to your question, are you still needing clarification?

not “DIC”

DLC

Data Link Connector

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

Use the cigarette lighter 9V battery device that you can buy at any auto parts store ( AutoZone, Napa, Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, etc.etc).

1. Plug a 9V battery into the device.
  2. Plug device into the cigarette lighter.
  3. Turn ignition switch to accessories (Doesn’t matter if your cigarette lighter is ON with the ignition off or it’s OFF. This will take the confusion out)
  4. Get out of the car and close all doors.
  5. Wait 2 minutes
  6. Remove battery terminals, and remove old battery.
  7. Install new battery.
  8. Connect battery leads back to the new battery.
    DONE !

Any more confusion ?
P.S. : Your Viper alarm does not have to be reprogrammed. It will be fine.